Cable Routing Options - EV Charger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening folks

Im in the midst of arranging an EV charging point in our home and Podpoint (have to use them due to it being a lease deal with free charger install with some installation exceptions that are going to cost) are asking for loads of details including what route I want the cable to go. Im getting stumped on whats best that wont end up with a unsightly heavy cable ran round the house.

Attached image shows where the podpoint needs to be installed and where a pair of consumer units are.

The Gym/Garage CU has two MCBs, 16A for a radial socket layout & 4A for lighting. It has no spare ways and is protected by a 63A RCD main breaker.

The main house CU (also where the meter is) has spare ways. It also feeds the Gym/garage CU via a 32A MCB. This feed is 4mm T+E (Which im a bit unsure of as its inside heavily insulated cavities).

The Podpoint is the 7kw model and requires a 32A rated feed as per Podpoints recommendations.

How would you guys go about routing the Podpoint to the main house CU ?

Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-05 at 13.50.58.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-05 at 13.50.58.png
    737.5 KB · Views: 170
Sponsored Links
Forgot to mention a few notes

Ground floor is concrete slab throughout. Home is 7m wide x 12m long

Is there an accessible loftspace?

It's tempting to run the cable from the main consumer unit, up the outside cavity, along the roofspace, then down the outside cavity to the charger.

Shock horror. Using the cavity.

Welcome to the real world.

Loft space is accessible yea. Three storey town house so a fair run. Cable length would end up around around 50m once going up, round and down.

Re my cavity issue it's not with placing the cable in the cavity itself, but that being 4mm and being surrounded by insulation protected by 32A. I thought that 4mm twin in conduit with insulation was only rated to 26A. Its unknown whether the cable is in conduit inbetween floors)

Sponsored Links
You would use a larger cable.

Can the cable be run in the gym, then under the kitchen units?

The only problem then is getting the cable from the garage to the main consumer unit without it looking a mess.

Last edited:
Yea the gym can have anything it needs, it's just a roughly boarded room with a bit of insulation to keep the frost off the equipment.

Even along the exterior wall infront of the garage door would be fine, it's the front of the house and that corner that worry me if it ends up being heavy cable.

The main house or gym CU?

The main house CU is 1.4m up inside a floor to ceiling cupboard. No coving

The gym CU is also 1.4m up mounted directly to the block wall. The gym internal walls are metal stud all the way round with a 75mm void.

No coving but then a cable could goes straight through the garage at ceiling joist height with few issues.

I was thinking out the front wall from the meter location then sunk under the path and infront of house, up and into the garage then straight line.

Can see groundworks being charged at a fortune though so its ideal to have an alternative suggestion with your up and down idea for the loft space.

Cheers :D

House cu.

So the house cu is in a cupboard that goes up to the ceiling?

So that means the only bit of cable to be seen in the hall will be a bit over the door, tight to the ceiling?

Can you live with trunking here?

Can you fish it over the ceiling? If joists run in your favour.

Can that bit of cable go in the cavity, or will the door lintel be in the way?

Trunking there wouldnt be any issue, and the ceiling void and joists do run in favour of passing a cable side to side accross the house towards the garage.

If you can get over the hall ceiling, from the garage to the hall mains cupboard, you've cracked it.

Excellent

That route is the same path the feed for the garage CU takes.

Up inside the wall between plot 3 & 4 then sideways through the ceiling to the garage.

Can you bury it along the front of the house?

You probably need to get a data cable to the main service intake as most chargers now (or in the future) have a current transformer clip-on sensor to go on the meter tail so the charger can adjust its load depending on what else is in use. You can get EV SWA cables that have a data pair or 4-pairs as well as the power cores.

Thanks Owen I wasnt aware of any data cables going in aswell, I assumed it would be all over wifi these days.

But yea, sinking along the front was the only way I could think of hiding it until sparkys ideas above

You employ a craftsman because he has the skills required, trying to tell him his job can have the reverse to what you want, ask him how he can hide cables, make him aware you want a neat job, and let him suggest how he can do it.

Make him aware your willing to pay a little extra for a neat job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back