Cable Runs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just a quickie.

I want to add a socket in an attached garage. As it is in the garage I'm not botherd what it looks like. Is it in order to run it along the wall with cable clips or is there some rule or regulation that says it must be in trunking?

Many thanks

Tony

Sponsored Links
im no expert but you can buy proper outdoor weatherproof cable, costs about £1 meter.

my grampa's house had normal wires outside, the outer tubing eventually corrodded itself and had to be replaced.

so if you want it to last, pay a bit extra for wiring, you can also use a hose pipe and thread the cable through that or some other sort of hard-wearing waterproof tubing.

You can clip it, but it has to be suitable for the place you've got it. So if, like me, you hang laddders and spades on the wall, that might bang into the cable, it is at risk of mechanical damage; or something might catch on it and pull it off the wall or out of the socket.

In a garage, it is quite handy to run cables just below the ceiling or wallplate, where they're out of the way and clear of any shelves or stuff you might put on the wall, and drop down to sockets and switches.

Mini-trunkling, with the clip-on cover, is very handy where its appearance is on order, also looks neat run to external wall lamps and things like that, and can be painted with non-drip gloss to tone in.

I don't think I explained properly.

I will be taking the feed from my living room through an internal wall into the garage. No cables will be exposed to the elements, I just wondered if some rule is in existance that says cable must be in trunking rather than clipped to the wall with cable clips.

Sponsored Links
dogberry said:
I don't think I explained properly.

I will be taking the feed from my living room through an internal wall into the garage. No cables will be exposed to the elements, I just wondered if some rule is in existance that says cable must be in trunking rather than clipped to the wall with cable clips.

That's what I thought you meant ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back