Power to garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read a lot of posts on here but can't quite find my answer.

I'm looking to get power to my garage. Running a new supply from the CU to the garage fitted against interior walls in suitable trunking but for some distance it will be running outside. This is where I am having trouble with the regulations.

Can I run a standard cable in trunking along an external wall (I believe I can't run it along a fence due to it having to be a permanent fixture)? Or must I use SWA cable buried or run overhead on a line?

P.S. I am aware of Part P.

Sponsored Links
Armoured cable would be my preferred option, you can use a conduit or trunking if it provides adequate mechanical protection however if it runs over any distance without expansion joints and gets warm it can warp and looks awful.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks Sparks.

Am I correct in thinking I cannot attach it to a wooden fence?

Can I bury the conduit?

Don't think the regs are explicit on the issue of fences.

If you're going to bury it, use SWA.

But then if you're going to use SWA, and don't care if it can be seen, you can just cleat that to the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back