Cable size Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people after some info I'm currently doing a kitchen conversion in my garage now for the electrics I need to run a ring main for all the sockets this will be for all the main stuff dishwasher, fridge, microwave, washing machine and a few spare sockets around the kitchen, what cable size would I need to run to comply with building regs? Aldo for lighting?? Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Cable sizes are not worked out in isolation there are many factors to consider. Often these will give.
Cooker 10mm sq
Oven 4 mm sq
Distribution unit (Grid switch unit) twin 2.5mm sq
Ring 2.5mm sq
Lights 1.5mm sq
However this is only rough. Distance and earthing arrangements may mean different sizes are used. As to ring for sockets this may be better as a radial when the major items are feed from a grid switch which in turn is feed by two cables in parallel. The reason why two cables rather than one thicker cable is purely as very hard to get two 4mm cables in a grid switch.

Often it is easier to fit a mini consumer unit in the kitchen it can help with things like RCD protection and local isolation but this is all part of the design.

An electrical system is designed not just stuck in and that's very dependent on the kitchen design.

I will assume not Scotland as different rules but rest of UK Part P raises it's head. Unless the LABC is involved already then the cost of involving LABC means likely cheaper not to DIY using a scheme member electrician will mean no LABC bill.

If you do DIY do remember only you can make out the installation certificate so step one is will the LABC accept your signature. Another electrician can give a condition report but not issue a installation certificate.

To fill in the installation certificate you will need test gear.

So as a rough guide add £500 to bill to DIY by time test gear hired and LABC fees paid. With that in mind ask yourself is it really worth doing it DIY?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back