Cable/water pipe distance and Catenary Wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening

Two questions

Firstly, I need to re-route a 2.5mm Twin and Earth (part of a 20 Amp Radial Circuit) cable in my Utility room. There are two different options for me to re-route the cable, although the easiest route will be next to a copper cold water pipe. I understand there is a minimum distance between a mains cable and a hot water pipe or Gas pipe, but what about copper cold water pipes? It wont be touching the pipe but be very close to it (of course if I have to re-route the cable the more difficult way then so be it).

Secondly, a chap who lives down the road from me wants to run a Network cable from his house to his Man Cave via a Catenary Wire.
He has bought the Catenary Wire kit from Screwfix but no instructions came with it. Having looked on various websites and Youtube, there never seems to be a definite answer about which bit attaches to which. Basically does the looped wire end attach to the hook end of the strainer, or the looped end of the strainer with the hook hooking on to the hook plate, or the loop plate and does the other looped end of the looped wire hook over the hook plate or is it looped through the looped plate and then the small wire clamps attached etc etc.
OR can the Catenary wire kit be used in any way?

Kind Regards

Sponsored Links
caternary-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Any cabl

Catenary wire kit be used in any way?

Whatever you want!

As long as the wire rope itself is protected from any chafing by only being in contact with the thimbles and clamped by the rope grips. Not directly looped round/through any of the other hooks/loops/etc.

Spiral the cable around the catenary, rather than tying it on.

edit: You'll probably find that with that kit, you'll have to splay open one of the thimbles to make everything fit together at all!! That 'door knocker' looking part, should just be a hook like the other one!

Last edited:
Spiral the cable around the catenary, rather than tying it on.
Do both, just spiralling round may allow the spirals to 'slide along' the catenary with the vibration from the wind and end up with lots of twists at the lower end (or the droop in the middle) and sagging loops hanging down.

Sponsored Links
Thanks so far for the replies.

Chivers67, the second photo you have given is one of the videos watched, although in the photo you can't see if the wall plate is hook shaped or ring shaped.

rsagz, looking at the kits used in the video's, I had noticed as well both wall plates were hook shaped, looking at the kit purchased from Screwfix, the contents label does suggest it comes with one hook plate and one ring plate.

Any help regarding the T&E CABLE? (It looks as though Chivers67 was starting to explain something but the post hasn't come through?)

Kind Regards

You'll probably find that with that kit, you'll have to splay open one of the thimbles to make everything fit together at all!! That 'door knocker' looking part, should just be a hook like the other one!
Indeed, I've never been able to work out why the kit comes with that combination of parts.
Basically every hook needs a loop and just as obviously every loop needs a hook but these 'standard kits' supply 2 hooks and 4 loops. Just as equally I don't understand why they supply the BIG ringed plate (door knocker) either, a 50mm ring looks stupid and it not practical or useful for the job, all it does is add another component to rub and rust.

Thanks so far for the replies.

Chivers67, the second photo you have given is one of the videos watched, although in the photo you can't see if the wall plate is hook shaped or ring shaped.

rsagz, looking at the kits used in the video's, I had noticed as well both wall plates were hook shaped, looking at the kit purchased from Screwfix, the contents label does suggest it comes with one hook plate and one ring plate.

Any help regarding the T&E CABLE? (It looks as though Chivers67 was starting to explain something but the post hasn't come through?)

Kind Regards
Sorry I was going to say any cable should be selected with regards to how well it will stand up to UV light from the Sun. Rather than T&E I'd use 2.5mm Black stranded with ferrule crimps at termination points.

Cheers Chivers67, the catenary wire job is what a chap down the road from me is doing, and he is running a Network cable along it (his man cave already has a mains power supply supplied underground). My twin and earth query is in my own house, all indoor work, I need to re-route it but want to know what is the situation running it next to a copper water pipe carrying COLD water, I understand there are rules for hot water pipes and gas pipes ( see the beginning of the thread) Kind Regards.

It shouldn't be a problem as long as it's supported throughout the route with cleats or another method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back