Cables in conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently been asked to second fix a house that was already first fixed. The switch by the door is a 6 gang switch and on a stone wall, so the owners have asked for the cables to be run in conduit down the wall. Is it possible then to put 3 x 1.5mm twin and earth cables and a 1.0 mm 3 core and earth cable into one piece of 20mm conduit. This has to be done on 2 pieces of conduit and one piece that has just 3 1.5mm twin and earth cables. The length of the drop is just under 3 foot. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have a look in your on site guide. It will tell you that not more than 45% of the space within the conduit or trunking can be occupied by cables.

I doubt you could achieve that even with two 20mm conduits.

I thought it only gave you the figures for single cables in the on site guide

Anyway i thought it would be to many cables anyone got any ideas on how else i can do it then to stay within the regs but also keep it looking ok and within character of the stone wall.

Sponsored Links
I'll have to take some photos next week now sorry mate as i have left the job, thanks for the suggestion of an adaptable box but that will prob look a bit ugly stuck to the ceiling.

Can the adaptable box go below the floor boards? Use permanent joints.

I could put it there and use crimps for connections but the floor above is going to be a tongue and groove oak floor so it will be very hard to get to the connections once the floor is down, and so does this not present another problem? Is there any other way you can think off running it down the wall?

I never wanna go anywhere near pyro is hateful stuff lol. I'll see if i can put it in 25mm i'm not sure if it'll be big enough though. Thanks anyway.

Use 32mm conduit, 1.0mm TE and the only real hassle will be cutting a hole for the back box.

I never wanna go anywhere near pyro is hateful stuff lol.
That clanking noise you can hear is RF unchaining a leather-winged dæmon of the night which will tear itself, shrieking blood and fury, from the endless caverns of the nether world, hurl itself into the darkness with a thirst for blood on its slavering fangs and search the very threads of time for the throbbing of your heart, which it will rip out and eat while you stare into its blood-streaked eyes and scream hopelessly with your final breath.

I never wanna go anywhere near pyro is hateful stuff lol.
That clanking noise you can hear is RF unchaining a leather-winged dæmon of the night which will tear itself, shrieking blood and fury, from the endless caverns of the nether world, hurl itself into the darkness with a thirst for blood on its slavering fangs and search the very threads of time for the throbbing of your heart, which it will rip out and eat while you stare into its blood-streaked eyes and scream hopelessly with your final breath.

I actually started writing a reply to that post, but couldn't manage to avoid swearing, so decided not to bother. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back