Cables in the loft question

When I pointed out that the job is not up to standards, the builder just replied "we have done the exact same with so many other customers and none have complained. I don't doubt that most people would not even bother climbing in a very dusty and unpleasant attic to check how the wiring has been done. But I happen not to be that kind of person :mrgreen:
While I know very little about wiring and would not be able to do this job myself (let alone testing it), I have a decent idea about how it should be done. At least, a good enough idea to figure that it has not been done properly. I mean... time-wise doing it properly would not cost much more. Materials wise, how much more is it going to be? 15£? 20£ at most? I really don't get it

Sponsored Links
There is NO way hes an electrician....plumber or kitchen fitter maybe.....That is a complete mess

There is NO way hes an electrician....plumber or kitchen fitter maybe.....That is a complete mess
Why is it a mess? I mean, provided that the connections are arranged in a box as they should be, would it still be a ****ty job? Could you elaborate on why? It's just for me to understand better

Sponsored Links
When I pointed out that the job is not up to standards, the builder just replied "we have done the exact same with so many other customers and none have complained. I don't doubt that most people would not even bother climbing in a very dusty and unpleasant attic to check how the wiring has been done.

Not particularly encouraging...

Look at it.
well yeah, I know... I gathered as much :D
what I am saying is... apart from the massive cable tangle and the connections left unprotected like that, is there any other reason? I can take better pictures if it helps

cables should be supported, clipped, that just looks like a pile of scrap ready for the bin

One question that needs asking is how much of that is new work?

Yes it looks a mess and is certainly non compliant with current regs, those joints certainly need correcting and everything moving away from the downlighter.
However unless there was an agreement to make changes to existing cables your builder is not responsible for them but chances are may sort them if being put to task.

Atleast it's not this bad, found on a call out:
1660659538630.png

One corner of my roofspace has loads of cables running through (electric shower feed, submains to shed and granny annex, most of the cables to annex fuse box, 3 ring circuits, 3 light circuits, 3x 3way switching for kitchen, 4 outside light circuits, heating system, TV distribution {maybe a dozen cables}, amateur radio cables, christmas lights, satelite, phone, ethernet, doorbell and I've probably missed some) and being nearly 60 years old has been done by a selection of different fitters as different additions have been done, it doesn't look the way it would if only done by one person (but with some peoples work I have seen I wouldn't guarantee it). I've tidied it the best I can without disconnecting cables, pulling them put and repositioning/restoring.

Dont waste time with him anymore...you want it sorted now...just because he does crap work everywhere else doesnt mean he can do it on your property.......Get the details of who he is registered with ask him about the certificate if no joy tell him to get off the job and that you will get a real sparky in and deduct his cost off of the builders invoice......unless of course you want to take the risk of either someone getting hurt or a fire, which if did occur your insurance would want to see the test cert for installation.......no cert no insurance

One question that needs asking is how much of that is new work?

Yes it looks a mess and is certainly non compliant with current regs, those joints certainly need correcting and everything moving away from the downlighter.
However unless there was an agreement to make changes to existing cables your builder is not responsible for them but chances are may sort them if being put to task.

Atleast it's not this bad, found on a call out:
View attachment 276941

One corner of my roofspace has loads of cables running through (electric shower feed, submains to shed and granny annex, most of the cables to annex fuse box, 3 ring circuits, 3 light circuits, 3x 3way switching for kitchen, 4 outside light circuits, heating system, TV distribution {maybe a dozen cables}, amateur radio cables, christmas lights, satelite, phone, ethernet, doorbell and I've probably missed some) and being nearly 60 years old has been done by a selection of different fitters as different additions have been done, it doesn't look the way it would if only done by one person (but with some peoples work I have seen I wouldn't guarantee it). I've tidied it the best I can without disconnecting cables, pulling them put and repositioning/restoring.
Oh dear god you need to get that sorted...Get a sparky in lol

cables should be supported, clipped, that just looks like a pile of scrap ready for the bin

I didn't realise that was a requirement on lofts. I guess you meant that they need to be clipped the joists rather than the plaster board ceiling?

I didn't realise that was a requirement on lofts. I guess you meant that they need to be clipped the joists rather than the plaster board ceiling?
My response was to this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back