Cables in the loft question

Oh dear god you need to get that sorted...Get a sparky in lol
Oh that was a rental property and sorted a couple of years back

Sponsored Links
One question that needs asking is how much of that is new work?
All of it is new work. The builder took down the old ceiling and all the wiring, ran new cables and then the "electrician" made the connections. I'll admit that the loft have other cables lying around on the insulation but that is pre-existing stuff and I don't expect him to sort that (and all junctions are in junction boxes). However, I expect that a new job would be done up to standards regardless on what is already there.

The quote mentions:
-Fitting of 4 new spotlights
-Fitting of new switches outside the bathroom for lights and extractor
-Electrical assistance and materials for first and second fix

The builder has contracted this part to this guy. I am willing to give him a chance to fix this, make it right and provide the certificate. He should come tomorrow so I will have a chat with him directly. As far as I understand, the electrician HAS to provide a minor works certificate. In this case he might not need to provide it to me but to the builder as he hired him, however, the certificate has to be issued to someone. Maybe he will just say that it was indeed a temporary solution and everything will be fine... we'll see. If he insists on saying that everything is fine like this then I guess it's going to be an unpleasant conversation.
I guess you will hear more about this tomorrow :D

You still need a copy of the cert and make sure it has his full details on ie NICEIC or NAPIT or whoever he is with

All of it is new work. The builder took down the old ceiling and all the wiring, ran new cables and then the "electrician" made the connections. I'll admit that the loft have other cables lying around on the insulation but that is pre-existing stuff and I don't expect him to sort that (and all junctions are in junction boxes). However, I expect that a new job would be done up to standards regardless on what is already there.
I agree there is no excuse for new work to not be to current standards but I don't think all of the cables in those pics look new (especially the red/black T&E), if the down lighter showing is new then all of those cables, whether new or existing, are his responsibilty to ensure they are tidied out of harms way.

Sponsored Links
turns out he's not an electrician by any means.
They have called-in a proper spark that will come next week to test and issue the minor works certificate.
Obviously I am a bit skeptical at this point. Is there a way to verify that the MWC is legitimate?

What do you mean by legitimate? I suppose the answer is "NO".

It is just a piece of paper with some statements and test results written by the person who did it.

Literally (correct meaning) anyone may (is allowed to) do it.

What do you mean by legitimate? I suppose the answer is "NO".

It is just a piece of paper with some statements and test results written by the person who did it.

Literally (correct meaning) anyone may (is allowed to) do it.
Really......this is the advice you give to people who want to play at being a sparks........Have a word

Must be a competent person
Even an 'incompetent' person could complete an MWC (quite possibly "correct to the best of their [limited!] knowledge and belief"!), although it would be pretty meaningless.

1660828760837.png

I'm not sure what "legitimate" would mean in relation to an MWC.

Kind Regards, John

That's really all about the scope of a "MEIWC" (i.e. what works it is appropriate for) rather than offering any opinion as to who 'may' or 'should' (anyone 'can'!!) complete one.

Kind Regards, John

So... in the end the builder has agreed to call an electrician that, in theory, would have just signed the certificate. In practice, he has spend ~2h in the loft and basically has re-done the whole thing.
Thanks for the update.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back