Cables in the loft question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I am having a builder to redo my main bathroom and he has called-in a part p registered electrician (or so he says) to do the electrics.
What has been done is:
-fitting shaver socket
-fitting LED downlights
-fan and related isolator switch
-fitting a switch (out of the bathroom)

Now, today I was checking something in the loft and I've seen how the connections have been done. He has used WAGO-style connectors but not in boxes. The connectors are basically just hanging there on the plasterboard with no protection.
Now, I understand that, as the loft it's not boarded, this does not require a maintenance free setup, however, is it OK to have cables connected like that?
Just for the records, I live in England and the circuit is already MCB and RCD protected.

Sponsored Links
WRONG very Wrong and when he does put it right make sure all single insulation is inside the box ie Brown Blue and Cpc (earth)....And tell him you know what the P stands for in part P and he is one

that's what I suspected :(
Tomorrow the builder is here again so I am going to have a chat with him. In case they try to claim it's OK like that, is there something that I can refer to to prove my point?
I can do basic electrics but honestly when it come to regs I am not very well versed... that's why I don't do this stuff myself, although I feel like I'd probably would have been way more scrupulous.

Sponsored Links
Take photo,s...ask who he is registered with ask about a cert and then quote reg 526.5
Every termination or a joint in a live conductor ( L and N) or a pen conductor shall be made within one of the following or a combination thereof:
(i) A suitable accessory complying with the appropriate product standard
(ii) An equipment enclosure complying with the appropriate product standard.
(iii) An enclosure partially formed or completed with building material which is non-combustible when tested to BS476-4

In other words tell him to put it right and use appropriate junction boxes

There you go…
It goes without saying that I also need to put the insulation back

Attachments

• 8C0C04E7-E11B-4AE6-BBB8-4173873AEC62.jpeg
    8C0C04E7-E11B-4AE6-BBB8-4173873AEC62.jpeg
    392.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 9D2A0D08-783D-430C-8C07-FC4480527355.jpeg
    9D2A0D08-783D-430C-8C07-FC4480527355.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 187
You should also tell him there is no such thing as “a part P registered electrician”. Part P is one sentence in the building regs not a registration scheme.

Perhaps they are only temporary fir the moment?
Yeah, that is how I intend to approach the subject with my builder. If he says it is temporary, then I’m happy. If it’s supposed to be the finished work then I’ll point out why it’s not OK. I’m not competent enough to say if the wiring itself is done properly but at least the “cable management” part is not

OK, Just had a chat with the builder... it was supposed to be the finished work (electrics-wise)
:censored:

You should also tell him there is no such thing as “a part P registered electrician”. Part P is one sentence in the building regs not a registration scheme.
Try telling that to the people who have done their trials and been inspected and hold their part P registration documents.

Next thing you know he was also not planning to provide minor works certificate :mad:

If he does not put this right, I am considering suggesting him to dismantle the stuff he has installed and call in a proper electrician and deduct the expense from the agreed price for the whole job. Especially in a bathroom, I think it is unacceptable to have the modification not tested.

Last edited:
I think your first course of action here is to offer for the builder to sort it out and engage a 'proper' electrician who will issue the appropriate paperwork or if they wont then you'll need to get your own electrician to quote how much it will cost to resolve and provide the paperwork and deduct that from what the builder is still owed. It's rather worrying that there are people out there who carry out work like this to such a poor standard when you the customer are happy to pay for it to be done correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back