Calculating BTU’s for hallways?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m aware of how to calculate BTU’s but what measurements do I use for a hallway?

In my house the down stairs hallway is heated but the upstairs landing is not which I believe is standard practise. So does this mean the radiator downstairs heats upstairs too or do all the radiators contribute to this?

So for my downstairs hallway do I just measure the normal ceiling height?

Hope my question makes sense to you all.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, heat rises, so the downstairs radiator also heats the landing which as you state is normal practice. Calculate it as two separate areas.

Imagine the stairs were removed and a floor/ceiling inserted. Based on that, calculate the downstairs BTU requirement and then the upstairs BTU requirement, then add the two together. Simples ;)

If the area under the stairs is already heated (eg cloakroom/wc) you can subtract that from the total afterwards, if you like.

Better to measure in kW which is what everyone has used for the last 40 years.

Be aware using that method can cause the downstairs to be too cold and the upstairs too hot.

Not much you can do about that apart from having the rads downstairs and stopping up all draughts.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back