sizing rads for halls ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does any wise owl know the correct method i should use when measuring a radiator to fit in a hall.

I have a hallway stairs and landing and obviuosly want a rad that will heat all the above.

What measurements should i be taking to work out the btu of the rad needed as i have been told there is not set measurements needed but the area of the hall but cant see how that will give off enough heat to warm the stairs and landing.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I thought you measured up & got the # of cubic meters & looked on a chart which gave you the advised size ....... Well thats what I did anyways :eek:

As heat rises & all that I'm having a go @ putting a lil rad on the landing in a effort to keep a bit of the generated heat from the hall rad down stairs ...... Dunno if it will work ...... But as the added rad was all of £17 from Screwfix its hardly the end of the world if my theory turns out to be baloney...... Mind you ya can add another £25 to all that by the time you've put a decent TRV on it...... Even still its hardly a kings ransom...... Plus it will cover that bit of gouged wallpaper I did when tripping the light fantastic with the steps the other month ........ Loooooong story :oops:

There are formulae for working out the heat loss of a space, based on the area and type of external surfaces and the volume, but with halls - stairwells it's difficult to take account of the way the heat will rise up towards the upper floor, possibly leaving the hall inadequately heated.

I'd just stick in an average rad - say 1.5 kW output - and place it towards the front door and away from the stairwell (assuming a typical layout). You might want to site the room thermostat in the hall which would avoid overheating. Otherwise you'd normally have a TRV on the hall rad.

The temperature of halls and stairwells isn't as critical as for sitting rooms so it's not worth worrying about, providing you have some control to avoid overheating.

Thanks for that,

So what your saying is that i only have to measure the down stairs hall to get the rad size i need and this will be enough to heat the stair well and the landing?

Their is not enough room to fit a rad at the top of the stairs so do i calculate the hall stairs and landing area then work out the btu needed for all measurements together then size the rad accordingly ?
cheers

Sponsored Links
A simple way to get it roughly right would be to make a calculation based on the combined floor area of the hall and the landing.

However in practice most people just base it on the hall and rely on convection and heat spillage to heat the landling.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back