Calculating U-Values

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the BRE U-Value Calculator. However, there are still some basic materials that are not listed. Is there a list out there of the conductivity/resistance of basic building materials?

Also, when it comes to lightweight/medium/dense concrete blocks, in what situations would you use one as opposed to another?

Sponsored Links
The table on this site might help.

http://www.learn.londonmet.ac.uk/pa.../building_fabric/properties/conductivity.html

As for type of block. The first factor is loading - the block you use must be sufficient to take the load. The second factor is heat loss - aerated blocks are generally more expensive but will give you an advantage on the overall U-value. Third is cost - you would obviously want to select a block that is not disproportionately expensive. Fourth is sound transmission - the block you select can have a significant effect on sound attenuation.

I also usually try to select blocks that I know are readily available from local builders merchants. There's nothing more annoying for contractors to have to order blocks and wait days for delivery because they are an odd specification.

There are other factors but these are the most important ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back