Caliper slider pin grease

Sponsored Links
Ceramic is what I do use but some are suggesting silicone.

I ask because I rebeded the front brakes, including pins, on a C220 back in 10.2018. The car is hardly used now but the front brakes have seized. Seems odd that well greased brakes should seize.

the great heat burns ordinary grease away.

copper grease leaves a residue of powdered copper after burning, but it speeds corrosion of aluminium parts (possibly other metals too) though it is OK with iron and steel when all parts in contact are the same metal. Exhaust manifold studs in an iron head, for example, I was amazed how good it is.

the front brakes have seized.

Are you sure the pads have not seized to the disks?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I've never, ever seen caliper pin seizure due to grease failure, and that includes ceramic, rubber or silicone applications......all seizures have been due to water and dirt ingress over time.
Coppaslip isn't recommended if the dust boots are rubber as it will rot them. If the heat was so intense, I doubt if the boots themselves would stand it.
Of course, the pads could be stuck in their caliper lands - some designs are better than others in that respect.
John :)

I've never, ever seen caliper pin seizure due to grease failure, and that includes ceramic, rubber or silicone applications......all seizures have been due to water and dirt ingress over time.
Coppaslip isn't recommended if the dust boots are rubber as it will rot them. If the heat was so intense, I doubt if the boots themselves would stand it.
Of course, the pads could be stuck in their caliper lands - some designs are better than others in that respect.
Neither have I. I've seen them a bit stiff as the grease has hardened, but not enough to cause brake binding. I use Stern Tube grease, which the supplier says is ceramic, and at least it's white like the original! Always been OK. But I'd be surprised if there were a problem with rubber or silicone grease, they won't rot the boots, and I doubt the pins are close enough to the action for heat to be a problem.
I had a front caliper seize up due to a stuck piston, replacement from a breakers yard.

Last edited:
When I'm doing brake work, I look at the boots and if there are no splits and the pins slide freely I leave it at that - no need for extra work!
I do keep a pack of universal boots in though, and have used around a dozen over the years.

Got looked at today and no apparent reason for seizure. The pads fell out when the calipers were lifted off so perhaps as JohnD mentioned, the pads stuck to the disc although only the o/s was effected. All the slider pins were free as a bird.

Stripped, cleaned and re-lubed with ceramic grease anyway then out on to the dual carriageway for a good work out.

Thanks All!

Last edited:
If the pads are stuck to the discs - maybe due to rust or being left for a good while - they will immediately release when the car is moved.
If the pads can't move and are grabbing the discs then its either the caliper piston, sliders, or the lands that the pads can slide on at fault.
I suspect on this one it was a one off due to rust.....my own brakes rust on every time the car is washed and then left a day or two. The peril of wide spoke alloys!

The car is kept in a garage. The o/s disc had slight rust which I brushed off with the drill mounted wire wheel.

The car really just needs a 10 mile drive every week to keep it healthy.

Sponsored Links
Back