Camping Hookup....

Rubbish we never been abroad camp only ever camped in the uk most campsite what have been 10amp even been on a few sites what has been only 6amps
Interesting. Eric is certainly quoting the current regulation correctly, and that hasn't changed since 2008 (maybe not for a while before that). However, if that requirement did not exist in some previous (pre-2008) version of the regulations, any sockets installed at that time would not be required to be updated to comply with the post-2008 requirements.

Either that or the sites are just ignoring the regulation!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Iv just read the regs and they are on about the outlet socket saying that it can't be no less then a 16amp nothing about they can't have a lower mcb

Well that my understanding of it

That is my understanding too, the socket must be 16A or above, probably a blue commando type. The circuit on the other hand may be less than this, the current, voltage and frequency should be stated on or near the outlet.

That is my understanding too, the socket must be 16A or above, probably a blue commando type. The circuit on the other hand may be less than this, the current, voltage and frequency should be stated on or near the outlet.

So if you want a 20amp supply you need a 32amp socket as it over the rating of 16amp . There nothing saying you can down rating the amp it just you can't exceed the rate of the socket

All voltages ect are normally imprinted on the socket and the plug

Sponsored Links
The problem is that mainly in the uk they only have 10amp supply's ( the ones we visit has apart from one and that was 16amp but got told that there are changing them next yer to 10amp) and also if I had each mcb for every circuit the case would be Hugh because I belive they have to be double pole mcb and the mcb would have to be a lower amp because if you have a 10 supply you have 3 mcb what 10amp each let say try and draw the max out of two mcb you will trip the main mcb and then you have to go and the site owner to unlock the casing to turn it back on again and that just hassle .. Hope that make sense :/
Yes, I would personally say that all makes sense. There's certainly no point in having a 16A MCB if there is a 10A one upstream in the supply. If you really wanted to have separate MCBs for the individual circuits, and didn't mind a lot more hassle and a much larger case, I suppose you could have an upfront 10A MCB feeding three separate ones (of whatever rating) for the individual circuits - but I don't personally really see what the point would be.

Kind Regards, John

While it makes sense, it does make your ammeter pointless.....

I would go for a 16amp MCB to allow use on all sites, using your ammeter to watch your load.

I work on many sites, all over the south west, and 16amp is the norm. 10 (and even 6) are more on budget sites.

Clearly not UK camping or caravanning as our regs say.

708.553.1.10 The current rating of socket-outlets shall be not less than 16 A. Socket-outlets of higher current ratings shall be provided where greater demands are envisaged.

Rating of the SOCKET yes, not the protection of it.

The problem is that mainly in the uk they only have 10amp supply's ( the ones we visit has apart from one and that was 16amp but got told that there are changing them next yer to 10amp) and also if I had each mcb for every circuit the case would be Hugh because I belive they have to be double pole mcb and the mcb would have to be a lower amp because if you have a 10 supply you have 3 mcb what 10amp each let say try and draw the max out of two mcb you will trip the main mcb and then you have to go and the site owner to unlock the casing to turn it back on again and that just hassle .. Hope that make sense :/
Yes, I would personally say that all makes sense. There's certainly no point in having a 16A MCB if there is a 10A one upstream in the supply. If you really wanted to have separate MCBs for the individual circuits, and didn't mind a lot more hassle and a much larger case, I suppose you could have an upfront 10A MCB feeding three separate ones (of whatever rating) for the individual circuits - but I don't personally really see what the point would be.

Kind Regards, John

While it makes sense, it does make your ammeter pointless.....

I would go for a 16amp MCB to allow use on all sites, using your ammeter to watch your load.

I work on many sites, all over the south west, and 16amp is the norm. 10 (and even 6) are more on budget sites.

Wouldn't really say searles (in the link above )is a budget site nor would I say any of the ccc are budgets sites

All the CCC ones I work on are 16amp.

Perhaps CCC CERTIFIED sites - they are private entities, and they cost save everywhere....

Seems pointless limiting YOURSELF to 10amp if you can utilise more on many sites, although I suppose it "trains" you.

If you're that woried about tripping the parks MCB, you shouldn't be looking at an MCB to help you out - yours or theirs could trip, no guarantees. There are other methods of close current monitoring.

Duomo do an FP45 2 module din rail module which is designed for commercial kitchen extractor fan interlocks.

It monitors the current to the fan, and you program a lower current and upper current, and a time delay. If the current goes below or above your limits, the relay opens. It displays the current on the screen of the module at all times.

You can omit the lower current limit.

You could then have a module which is programmed to 10amp - if 10amp is hit, the relay will open (actually it's a changeover), so you could have this open your load or sound a buzzer when you exceed 10amp.

If the current being measured is greater than 10amps, a CT transformer is required.

I can't recall the switching capacity of the relay, it is generally used to open circuit other controls, so you would likely need a contactor too.

Far better than an MCB.

I belive they have to be double pole mcb

In caravans yes, double pole required. There are no regulations for these ECU units aimed at campers at all. *stands to be corrected.

So why are all the shop brought camping ehu come with a double pole mcb ?

Ask them - not me. As I said, "stands to be corrected". There is no mention in BS7671 other than for the wiring within a TOURING caravan.

I belive they have to be double pole mcb

In caravans yes, double pole required. There are no regulations for these ECU units aimed at campers at all. *stands to be corrected.

So why are all the shop brought camping ehu come with a double pole mcb ?

Ask them - not me. As I said, "stands to be corrected". There is no mention in BS7671 other than for the wiring within a TOURING caravan.
no I was just asking a question to see if you knew as I didnt

That is my understanding too, the socket must be 16A or above, probably a blue commando type. The circuit on the other hand may be less than this,...
Everyone seems to be agreeing with this interpretation, rather than eric's. However, if that is the case the following sentence - "Socket-outlets of higher [than 16A] current ratings shall be provided if greater demands are envisaged" - seems rather daft. What would be the point of providing a 'higher rated socket' (to accommodate the greater demand) unless the intended implication was to also require a higher current-capable circuit? Putting a 32A socket on a 10A or 16A supply is not going to help with 'higher envisaged demands'!

Kind Regards, John

While it makes sense, it does make your ammeter pointless..... I would go for a 16amp MCB to allow use on all sites, using your ammeter to watch your load. ... I work on many sites, all over the south west, and 16amp is the norm. 10 (and even 6) are more on budget sites.
When I said that it made sense, that was in the context of believing the OP's statement that virtually all sites had supplies of a max of 10A (I haven't done camping for decades, so don't know - and when I did do it, there was no question of any electricity supplies being available :) ). If he is wrong, and 16A supplies are fairly common, then I agree with you.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back