Can a cooker cable be too big?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am renovating my kitchen and want to lay a cable for a new electric oven (not yet selected) behind tiling etc. I already have some 10mm, T+E laid in the ceiling (was going to put in an electric shower upstairs, but never did)

Will this be OK to use? Can the cable be too big? I intend to get a proper electrician to eventually connect this to my consumer unit as a dedicated feed, with a new fuse etc.

Didn't want to box this wiring in then discover I'd have to change it later.

Any responses much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
10mm is fine. Some cooking appliances might even need this (those grossly overpowered induction hobs for example).

If you want someone else to connect it, don't box it in yet.

A lot of ovens and some hobs will take 6mm max. However, 10mm to cooker control unit/outlet plate then 4mm 90 degree flex to cooker (rated 42A). Bit expensive but you don't need much.

Cheers
Chris

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys.

Flameport, why should I not box it in? Is there something special I should be doing when I route the cable?

If the electrician can not see the run of the cable, then she can not say for sure it has been run in correctly such as in the prescribed safe zones.

If she is not certain that the installation complies fully with BS7671 then a certificate can not be issued.

If she is not certain that the installation complies fully with BS7671 then a certificate can not be issued.

That would be a very rare thing indeed! :LOL: , cable clip spacing for example, always somewhere it just isn't possible/feasable to clip it how it should be

You would need to check with the manufacturers for the figures to ensure compliance with 522.8.5 ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back