Can a DIYer safely move electric sockets?

Sponsored Links
Will be a bit like this:

insulated-box-installation-sectogetherff-Layout2-2.jpg
The electrician will be installing the cables, yes?

No plans to move them to a different circuit, i meant physically move the socket on the wall.
So if these sockets, are not on, and will not be moved to the circuit on which the existing bedroom sockets are, what does this mean?

the bedrooms (this will become one) have their own sockets, so I can take my time while the kitchen and living rooms are still powered.
Take all the time you like, but if the sockets you remove are on the same circuit as the kitchen and living room sockets then you will have no working sockets in the kitchen or living room until the work is done:

And will remain off until the new sockets are installed and the wiring tested

No, there is no need to change the circuit. This room was a living room, but it is already on the same circuit as the bedrooms, and it will become a bedroom when it's been renovated.

And there are no plans to change the cables. Just move them into the new wall.

And, as i can see that some boxes are old and knackered the electrician will be putting in new ones . If he feels new cables are needed, I'll let him decide.

For now, I'm ripping the room apart so i can build it with unrotten wood and insulation.

For now, I'm ripping the room apart so i can build it with unrotten wood and insulation.

Don't forget to find out why the prievous wood rotted (damp) and fix it otherwise you will be doing it again in a few years.

Sponsored Links
That is why I'm ripping out up.

I think a combination of poor ventilation and the hearth being a cold spot.. Overall it's pretty dry down there, but there was about an inch of dust that doesn't help.. Will improve air bricks, clean, ensure no concrete touching joists. Then remove all boards, chuck rust, treat rest. Also insulation with moisture barrier (kingspan and foill tape) so living moisture does not condense under the floor.

That's my plan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back