Can this electric socket be hidden below floorboards?

Can that JB but disconnected? If I turned all power off, could I remove the two cables coming out the box, then turn the power back on, leaving the JB safe until the electrician comes?
Would make it easier to remove what is currently there.

Sponsored Links
Can that JB but disconnected?
Probably not. If you do that then you no longer have a ring. That may cause overloading in the rest of the house.
You would then need to change the MCB from 32 to 20amps to comply with regulations....don't go there.

I only mean temporarily, so I can remove the 2 spurs from it, then in a week or so, the electrician can turn it into a socket and connect it to 2 new sockets.
The cables run between 2 radiator pipes, which means I can't just pull the sockets through as they are, which means leaving all the old sockets under the floor, which i don't really want to do.

Sponsored Links
As much as they say they are maintenance free, when I bought some I saw no MF mark or BS5733 compliance. Best stick with a Wagobox or crimps.
Strange - very old stock? ... bought from TLC ~18 months ago (and with added graphite to facilitate photography of the embossed markings!) ...

upload_2018-8-15_11-59-2.png

Kind Regards, John

As above, I think aptsys must have bought some very old stock. In the earliest days, they had 'stuck on' MF labels (which I suppose was acceptable?), but they soon moved on to the ones with embossed MF and BS5733 markings - but that was a long time ago now.

anyway, if I power down, open up the JB and remove the wires going to the sockets, and put back together, will that be good for a week or two?

My personal opinion is that, whatever you go to electrical wiring, you must maintain the integrity of the circuit. It doesn’t matter if the alteration is temporary or permanent.

Badly done alterations can start fires and fires start quickly.

I may be being over-cautious of course.

Strange - very old stock? ... bought from TLC ~18 months ago (and with added graphite to facilitate photography of the embossed markings!) ...

View attachment 146613

Kind Regards, John

I recall some years ago some forum members refused to accept the hager 'push in' junction boxes were compliant for use in inaccessible locations because 'maintenance free' was not printed on them.

Thankfully they are now.

I recall some years ago some forum members refused to accept the hager 'push in' junction boxes were compliant for use in inaccessible locations because 'maintenance free' was not printed on them. Thankfully they are now.
Indeed. As I said, they did not initially bear the markings, but there was a brief period during which they used 'stick on' MF symbols before they eventually included it (and the BS 5733 marking) in the embossed markings. However, as I said, they have had the embossed markings for quite a long time now.

Wagoboxes are, of course, a lot more contentious - since, no matter what markings they bear, an enclosure alone cannot really be an 'MF' JB!

Kind Regards, John

Kind Regards, John

Must be, although recently purchased from a trade counter so very odd.

Must be, although recently purchased from a trade counter so very odd.
Yes, odd. I just remembered that the one I photographed was one of the remaining ones in a box of 10 (which, as I said, I bought from TLC around 18 months ago), so I've just looked at the box to see if it had a date of manufacture ...

... the only date on the box is a very old one (2011), which is next to the CE symbol, so I'm not sure what that relates to. Even if it relates to that date when CE compliance was first 'claimed', I have to say that I didn't realise that they'd been around for that long. I've got the remnants of a similar box of J804s (again with MF/5733 markings), and that bears a 2008 date (again, next to the CE mark)!

Kind Regards, John

Well, i removed the 4 sockets from the junction box, and glad to report I'm still alive and nothing blew up. Consumer unit not complaining either.

Some photos....
IMG_20180816_184451816.jpg IMG_20180816_185912032.jpg IMG_20180816_190056380_LL.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back