Can a gas meter be moved a few inches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know if you want to move your gas meter you need to get the gas company to do it. but if its only say 10 inches and its still connected to the armoured flex - can my gas fitter move it? it looks like its just a case of unscrewing the bracket and reattaching to the wall?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
i have asked - he said he cant as hes not allowed - i want to know if he is allowed and its just he doesnt want to move it.

I would say that he could move it within the range allowed by the flexible tube.

BUT only if that's still a suitable location for it.

Thee can be many reasons why people don't want to do things. The most common being that he does not expect to be paid adequately.

There is a selection of words which people use which implies they don't want to pay anything or very much. "Could you just move the meter 10" ?

As a stand alone job then perhaps £60 - £90 or more as the outlet pipework will need modifying!

Tony

Sponsored Links
i have asked - he said he cant as hes not allowed - i want to know if he is allowed and its just he doesnt want to move it.

He dosent want to risk moving it because if the anaconda splits under stress, the supply company will bill him for damage.

thanks guys, hes already rerouting the gas pipe and has to modifiy the pipe leaving the meter anyway. so whilst hes doing that he can just move it over a bit.

its not really in a suitable location now or if he moves it, it just gets in out of the way of a window if he moves it.

thanks though - answered my question i just wanted to make sure he wasnt gonig to be breaking any laws if he did.

Why would the supply company bill him if anaconda split surely he would just renew the inlet in copper .

Yes meter can be moved but technically the guy would need MET1 even though its a simple job he prob wants to keep him self on correct side of gassafe

answered my question i just wanted to make sure he wasnt gonig to be breaking any laws if he did.

I suspect that technically he and you might be.

Long ago it was fairly simple you got connected to the gas and were stuck with the company that did it. They own the meter , you can't touch it, that would be all part of the contract you agree to for a supply.

Nowadays the "providers" or whatever you want to call 'em can generally be switched and when that happens the new provider becomes responsible for the meter, you still don't own it.

I would expect in the supply contract it will still be in there somewhere that you must not interfere or move the meter - (because it is not yours to mess with).

In practical terms if the guy is qualified to move it at least that is one hurdle overcome , but in the end permission has not been sought from those who are responsible for it. So what can the provider do about it if they find out - Perhaps sue you for breach of contract and bill you for a visit to inspect it is one possibility, maybe even cut you off! - I'm not a solicitor so just guessing. What I am pretty sure about is you should not move it without the providers permission and usually that means they would want to do it themselves and give you a big bill for the pleasure!

Interesting though!

Yep you are guessing , a rgi does not have to seek any permission to touch temp remove or work on a gas meter it is an everyday occurence to thousands and thousands of rgi`s.
Touching the incoming service is something completely different

Touching the incoming service is something completely different

Where does the incoming service end ? Genuinely interested as I always thought it was at the meter and included it so I'm pleased you have posted.

Edit:
Found the information on National Grid so it is presumably up to and including the emergency cut off valve or perhaps the isolator where fitted?

Cut and paste of the information on National Grid follows.

To arrange your own meter
reattachment and reconnection of
appliances
Please be aware that if you choose the option “My
‘Gas Safe’ engineer”, National Grid will only alter the
service pipework to the new position. You will be left
without gas until you have arranged for a Gas Safe
Registered Engineer with meter fitting qualifications to
reattach your meter and reconnect your appliances to
the meter. They should complete this work once
National Grid has moved your service pipe.

For Gas112
What flexibility do you have with regards distance to the meter? I feel sure it has to be in the same space, now I am guessing! (i.e. not the other side of the wall in another space!), but for those wanting to arrange to move only the meter like the OP, what are the limits, assuming an electrician will deal with moving the bonding when required

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back