Can anyone advise on how to fix stair riser?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody give me any advice on fixing a riser part of a stair case.
My stairs are wooden but go up to a concrete landing, the top of the stairs where it butts to the concrete seems ceramic to me but I suppose it could be some sort of varnished wood. Anyway over the last few months I have noticed a real change in the stairs in regards to noise and bounce, particularly the top tread. Iv pulled the carpet up and it looks like the ceramic looking part is quite far from the landing, also the riser part of the top tread has a large crack along it above the gripper rod, iv have attached a picture but it doesn't show it too great. Due to this crack it seems like the riser has come away from the tread below it. I assume this is causing the noise and bounce. I'd like to fix it myself, anybody who knows more about this stuff have any advice on how best to go about it?
20150908_184729.jpg

Sponsored Links
as its right at the top you might not be able to do a perfect repair to the riser.
so why not cut some 9 mm ply to size and glue and screw through to the old riser ?

The stair case is only about 7 steps high so I should be able to get access to the underside incase that's why you say it might be difficult. Yeah I was thinking of trying to put some sort of elbow bracket on the underside in order to "fix" the crack and also connect the riser to the tread. Not sure if there's a better way tho.
Thanks for the reply btw

Sponsored Links
my thought

if there is concrete behind the riser
then screwing in a wood screw would push the riser forward [jack]when the point hits the concrete
try 2 each side and centre 1/5 up and down and iff it pusher the riser forward then loosen to a 5mm gap pour foaming pu glue into the gap "jack" the riser as close to the correct position as you can

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p93568

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back