Can anyone explain why I had to reset my alarm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The issue is solved but I'm curious as to if anyone knows what the issue was, or how to fix it in future.

Veritas 8C, installed by yours truly 2 years ago. I had to power off the garage for a couple of days (the alarm is solely in the garage, monitoring the garage).

When I turned the power back on, and the alarm was unset, it would do a double chime whenever a zone was activated (ie open a door = beep BEEP, activate a PIR = beep BEEP). It's the exact same low-high chime it makes when you unset the alarm.

I don't think the battery is at fault as I'm fairly sure I replaced it last year. And in any case the battery lasted almost 24 hours before discharging. I checked chime suite and walk mode and neither are enabled. It set perfectly fine - just beeped whenever a zone was activated.

In the end I reset it as it was very annoying. As it happens I'd written down everything needed to reprogramme the zones.

But weird... I'm curious as to what was up with it? The closest I can find - from text descriptions on the internet - is someone who's fire alarm was low on batteries. I DO have a fire alarm fitted but it's powered from the alarm itself and has no battery of it's own.

Thanks!

Might be related - in all the times I've ever disconnected or discharged the battery, this is the FIRST time it's actually retained its settings. Normally I need to set it all up again.

Sponsored Links
Not a good idea ....that battery will have now probably lost a least half it’s capacity ...cheap panels don’t have a battery saving function

Sponsored Links
a little miffed at the rate your replacing batteries, backups last around 5 years with normal use.

this panel wouldn't have had any protection when the battery was run so low (ie days without mains).

Completely lost from your post regarding not requiring programming and reprogramming.

I'm not replacing batterys at an alarming rate. I've replaced it once, to replace the battery that was dead when I bought the house (I actually replaced the entire system as it was broken so probably been powered off for a LONG time, hence the battery being dead).

Although noted that they don't have undervoltage protection for the battery - I'll be sure to disconnect it in future if I'm going to power it down for a significant period.

But anyway back to the original question, anyone here know's what it was beeping for? I've read the install guide 2 times over and spent a good few hours trying to figure it out. If it was the battery AFAIK it will beep 8 times in a regular interval, not chime every time a sensor is triggered, and one would presume that a factory setting reset wouldn't magically make the battery "unfault".

That was my first thought but after leaving on mains power for 24 hours it still did the beep thing. So I looked into a bit more.

I've not heard it personally but the install manual says a low battery is 8 (or 7... not in the garage now, where the manual is) monotone beeps every 60 seconds. I'm not getting that (-1 for battery issues).
The battery still holds charge. How much, who knows, and although the instructions are a bit vague I should maybe see a flashing UNSET light whilst its charging, which I am not (-1 for battery issue)
When the power was off I got the same beep I heard when it came back on (+1 for power issue) but it was regular (-1 for battery issue)
Soft reset of the NVM to factory defaults stopped the beep (-1 for battery issue)

The chime on the zones, seem to be a programming issue as defaulting stopped it.

the Unset light and how it behaves depends on the version of panel you have and also on programming.

power fault is 10 beeps and accompanied with the flashing unset light but on some versions it applies to mains only issues and on oters seems to apply to mains and or battery.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back