can anyone help please ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just purchased an xpelair fan for the bathroom. the wiring for the fan itself is straight forward blue/brown/ andearth. but the electrician who did our wiring left a cable sticking out the wall to connect to the fan. its the wires on the cable that i dont get. there is one black wire,one grey wire,one copper wire which is earth i presume,and one black wire. total of 4 wires in the cable. can someone tellme what goes where please ?

Sponsored Links
Usually you have a permanent live to the fan, a switched live from your light switch and neutral.
The idea is that after you have switched your light off the fan will kepp running on a timer so needs a permanent live.

Not sure on the colours you have mentioned though, I would guess at one of the bacls being a switch wire, the other a neutral and the grey a permanent phase, BUT I would presonally test them using a meter to find out what is what.

telekon said:
there is one black wire,one grey wire,one copper wire which is earth i presume,and one black wire.
Sure it's not Black, Grey and Brown?....

p3334706_x.jpg

http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/Cable Colours Leaflet.pdf

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back