Can anyone identify this connection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This fittings came on a pack of LED lights I purchased:

54A1E766-3E44-4A18-8443-89BFC1A0C871.JPG E8115CEC-DA9B-4CAB-B196-4B618E41FA80.JPG

I need to take them off, or cut the wire and attach new ones, in order to fit them.

They look crimped (certainly they don't pull off). Can anyone identify the connection type and whether it's possible to attach new ones?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I take it you need to thread them thru a hole? If so, cant you just cut the wires themselves, leaving the plugs attached, then join again after?

If you push a small screwdriver into the rectangle hole in the side of the housing it will push in the barb holding the pin in and it will release. Once out the barb can be put back in it's angled position to allow it to be re clipped back in the housing. Don't forget which wire came from which hole.

@Echo the husky You're right! Dammit, i've already cut them. Do you know what these are called so I can google the right crimp tool? Feels easier than soldering.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Perhaps this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-2-Way-...749731?hash=item464941a5a3:g:AXIAAOSwG-1Wx4N1

But there are various different sizes of these things. It is probably easiest to measure the prongs of the other part of the connector. Do you have a micrometer? If you post the exact pitch (i.e. spacing) and thickness of the prongs I'll work out what connector you need.

(If you've kept the bits that you cut off, all you actually need are new crimp terminals; you can fit them to the existing bodies. It is possible to crimp them onto the wires using a pair of pliers, but it's not easy and you'll probably waste a few in the process. Or you can buy the right crimping tool.)

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks, that's amazingly helpful! :D

I still have the end pieces, so guess I just need the crimp terminals. Do you know which crimping tool goes with the link you provided?

You could remove the existing crimps, cut off the wire and solder the existing wires onto the old crimps. Refit into the socket and if they won't lock into the socket put a little blog of epoxy glue into the back (where the wire enters)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back