Can anyone identify this socket outlet

Sponsored Links
Seem to recall some sort of council guidance for quantity and types (singles/doubles) of sockets in dwellings
Maybe, but we weren't (Harry wasn't) talking about the singles/doubles business - rather he was talking about a suggestion that there had been a time when sockets in kitchens had to be switched ones - do you recall any such dusty reg?

Kind Regards, John

Where did that come from? In fact, I can't actually think of any reg which requires any sockets, anywhere, to be switched.

Kind Regards, John
Your comment is "interesting" to me in that I thought that the regulations in Australia were derived from those in the UK, requiring Socket-Outlets to be provided with individuals switches.

The Australian regulations are quoted in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS/NZS_3112
Switch requirements as follows: -
Regulations require socket-outlets to be "individually controlled by a separate switch that .... operates in all active conductors", subject to three "exceptions":

"A single switch may be used for the control of two socket-outlets located immediately adjacent to each other". (subject to the current rating of the switch to be at least equal to the (a) total current rating of the sockets concerned; or (b) the current rating of the overcurrent protection device concerned, whichever is the lesser value.)
"A socket-outlet that is switched by the insertion and withdrawal of the plug shall be deemed to meet the requirements ....”
”A socket-outlet that is rated at not more than 10 A, installed for the connection of a fixed or stationary appliance or a luminaire and that is not readily accessible for other purposes, need not be controlled by a switch".
(Note that an Australian Winston1 could not quibble with the third "exception", since Australian "Lighting" circuits are rated at 10 A.)

Not in 'my time' (or being aware of the regs), but maybe in the distant past! I'm sure that Secure will have an answer :)
No, I can't recall one either. Going back to the 14th ed., unswitched sockets were more common than switched ones.

Even in the early days of the 15th ed I recall unswitched sockets being specified more frequently.

Maybe it was purely down to price.
I am talking about the house-bashing market, perhaps things were different in commercial work.

Sponsored Links
So, an unswitched socket, then? :sneaky:

It is possible to have a socket which actually switches the power by removal of the plug, so still a switched socket. I don't think I have ever come across a 13amp version though, just pointing out that they do exist.

Your comment is "interesting" to me in that I thought that the regulations in Australia were derived from those in the UK, requiring Socket-Outlets to be provided with individuals switches. The Australian regulations ....
"Regulations require socket-outlets to be "individually controlled by a separate switch that .... operates in all active conductors", subject to three "exceptions" ..... "
Yes, 'interesting' in that it indicates that the Australian regs have not always followed UK ones ...
  • As I've said, to the best of my knowledge, UK regulations do not require (and never have required) any sockets to be switched.
  • Unswitched sockets have been, and remain, in widespread use in the UK.
  • Traditionally, the switches in switched sockets were single-pole, and I think a good few still are.
Kind Regards, John

It is possible to have a socket which actually switches the power by removal of the plug, so still a switched socket. I don't think I have ever come across a 13amp version though, just pointing out that they do exist.
Nor have I (seen a 13A one which does that) but some 'shaver sockets' certainly do, and I think that at least some of the 'USB sockets' built into 13A sockets these days also do.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, 'interesting' in that it indicates that the Australian regs have not always followed UK ones ...
  • As I've said, to the best of my knowledge, UK regulations do not require (and never have required) any sockets to be switched.
  • Unswitched sockets have been, and remain, in widespread use in the UK.
  • Traditionally, the switches in switched sockets were single-pole, and I think a good few still are.
Kind Regards, John
While the Australian regulation quoted (AS/NZS 3000:2007 - and later) states with regard to such a switch that it "operates in all active conductors" this means the "Line" conductor.
Another regulation applying to caravans/mobile homes etc. stipulates that all switches in such vehicles be double pole. (AS/NZS3001:2008)
  • All switches installed in transportable structures and intended to be connected to the site supply shall operate in all live (active and neutral) conductors."
  • Switches that directly control socket-outlets shall comply with the above requirements."
(Australian regulations refer to the "Line" conductor as the "Active".)

While the Australian regulation quoted (AS/NZS 3000:2007 - and later) states with regard to such a switch that it "operates in all active conductors" this means the "Line" conductor.
Fair enough, I obviously didn't realise that - I was assumning that "active" was Australian for "Live" (aka Line and Neutral).

Are you therefore saying that the regulation also applies to multi-phase (e.g. 3-phase) sockets since, otherwise, I don't understand why they have used the plural term "all active conductors" (if 'active' = line)?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back