Can change in temperature set off smoke alarm?

D

David87

I just moved into a house with 2 x FireAngel ST-622 smoke alarms (not sure how old they are).
These are not connected and each contain a power pack (non-changeable battery).
Earlier today, they both started beeping.

The low battery warning for this type of alarm (FireAngel ST-622), is for it to beep at 40 second intervals. I thought the beeps did seem to be about 40 secs apart so it's probably the batteries (they will probably have been installed at the same time, so possible they should go off within seconds of each other). The only light flashing was the red light (also at 40 second intervals), that indicates the alarm is working.

The hush button was pressed on only one of the alarms (this stops the low battery warning for 8 hours), and this alarm stopped beeping. But the other alarm also stopped beeping very soon after without it being hushed. Why would they both stop, they aren't connected?

The only thing I can think of, is that I turned on the heating (to 20'C - not excessive), that morning, and maybe the change in temperature could have caused them both to go off. I don't think the heating has been used in a couple of months while the property was empty, so it was cold. Is it possible that this could be the cause? The alarms have not gone off since the heating was turned off. The alarm at the bottom of the stairs is very close to a radiator, and the other is at the top of the stairs (heat rises and one upstairs bedroom had heating turned on). Could be a coincidence but what else could have caused it?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply sparkymarka.
If it was the batteries, would the alarm not continue to sound until disabled?
I just don't get why one stopped without being hushed, and after they had both started and stopped at roughly the same time?

Sponsored Links
I had read about problems with the ST-620 but wasn't aware of problems with 622.
So I guess this won't be a one-off then and I should replace the alarms?
It's getting cold now and I don't want the alarms going off whenever I turn the heating on.

Condensation?

(in or on the sensor - Had the same issue when my dad would use a portable butane gas heater in early autumn / late spring)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back