Can I add another a toilet to the other side of the house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Sorry to ask such a basic question, I just want to understand the problem before I invite a builder round and get blinded by science!

I want to put in an ensuite toilet but it will be on the opposite side of the house. The only thing I can think of is maybe having another long toilet waste pipe screwed to the side of the house and somehow connect it to the waste pipe on the other side of the house but I don't know if this is even allowed.

And if it is, is it a very big/expensive job? Just the work outside of the house, not the building work inside for the ensuite.

Thanks!

Sally

Sponsored Links
It would be unusual to try to run soil pipework right round a house. Normal practice would be to locate the underground foul drains and identify a suitable location to connect to them.
It may be possible (very dependant on internal layout) to connect new pipework internally.
An alternative (and very much a last resort!) would be to install a macerator which will allow smaller bore pipework to be installed and the waste pumped to a suitable connection.

Pricing is dependant on the amount of work involved - the only way you will get a price is for somebody to visit and investigate.

Thank you. I don't like the idea/look of a pipe wrapping around the house and a macerator sounds very grim!

How would I find out where to connect in to an underground foul drain? Of course I already know where one is - on the other side of the house. Do I need to choose that one and dig up all around the house and connect that way? Or might there be one closer and would the council tell me? Or can a clever builder tell me just by looking at the house? I have seen those metal drain covers, but I always thought they were for sinks and washing machines rather than toilets.

Best wishes

Sally

Either the council or the water company should know, I say should because a friend tried recently and neither could tell her where the drains ran to.

Sponsored Links
Neither the utility company or the council are likely to be able to provide accurate plans of the drainage locations within your property boundaries.

A look around your property and a look at the various (hopefully!) inspection chambers will provide a basic indication of the location of the foul runs - at least from this you may be able to get an idea of how feasible your plan is. It's worth remembering that any changes to the foul pipework will be subject to approval by your local building control (council) - it's essential that the drainage is installed properly (and in accordance with Building Regs.) to avoid problems later.

If it helps in your planning, don't be surprised if the external works and new drainage cost as much (if not more) than the internal works and, when it's finished, all you have to show for it is a 'metal cover' or two!

Thanks newboy!

So if I lift a metal cover how can I tell the location of the foul runs? I could flush the toilet, run the taps etc and then easily work out how the waste is coming in to the drain - but are you talking about where the drain goes to next?

Thanks
Sally

Sally, are there any other water facilities on the proposed side of the house?
I just think you are in for a nightmare here, unless the inspection chamber (manhole) that you are investigating is fairly deep - drains needing a certain fall, naturally!
One thing....although I hate macerators with a vengeance, there's a possibility that it could connect into your soil vent pipe. Do you know where it is? Often it'll be poking up through the roof.
John :)

Make my living from macerators and water pumps, don`t believe all you hear or read, used and installed correctly they do a job but always agree go mains if you can.
Here if you have questions on them.

Make my living from macerators and water pumps, don`t believe all you hear or read, used and installed correctly they do a job but always agree go mains if you can.
Here if you have questions on them.

Agree - I've installed a fair few over the years but only as a last resort. In my experience the majority of problems have been due to misuse with the majority of the remainder down to poor installation.

I've installed only the one Saniflo......house in Keswick, front to back upstairs and bossed into the SVP.
I ran the pipe under the floor ( thankfully the floor joists ran in my favour) had a slight fall on the pipe, no joins and only the one bend!
It's been fine, so far as I know - but strict instructions were......
No quilted loo roll
Absolutely no wet wipes
Absolutely no sanitary wear
....flush twice if err....necessary :eek:

Trust you read the instructions re size and minimum fall on the pipe John and installed with a good cistern flush valve, is Keswick a soft water area?

It was back in 2001 mate so it's a bit vague in the memory.....however it was fine three years later and then I lost contact with the owners.
Keswick water is very soft indeed....at least it is at the taps but maybe less so when it laps in through the front door :eek:

Hi John/Burnerman

Thanks for the reply. On the proposed side of the wall, no there are no other water facilities as everything is on the other side of the house (kitchen/bathroom/toilet).

When you say I could be in for a nightmare, do you mean it will just be expensive and I will have to dig up the side and back of the house - or do you mean I can't put the ensuite in!

Best wishes

Sally

I'd just say, Sally, to put in a conventional drainage system would be quite a task with what you propose.
I'll try to qualify what I've said.
You would need a 4" plastic drain pipe laid from the front of the property to around the back, where the effluent from your proposed en suite would be.
So - This would need an external vertical pipe from the proposed bathroom down to the ground, and that would terminate in an inspection chamber (manhole). From this chamber, a pipe would be laid underground to the existing chamber out the front .....naturally enough, the pipe would need to fall slightly downwards to allow natural drainage by gravity to occur. I'm not accounting for any bends or whatever here - we don't have a plan of your site.
So....if the existing chamber out the front is nice and deep, it could be possible to create a drain from round the back - but if the required fall isn't simply there then it's very difficult.
I hope this makes sense....I've confused myself now!

No that is great - I understand that it can be done which is great news!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back