Can I add inline extractor/booster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a bathroom extractor fan connected a long run of ducting and it's not doing the trick.

Can anyone see it causing a problem if I split the ducting and added an inline extractor - or a duct extractor booster - to give it enough oomph?

Not sure if there's going to issues with different air pressures or problems I haven't considered.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I recently had to replace the inline extractor for my local pub. They have a single extractor fan (ceiling mount) in both the ladies' and the gents' loos which connect to the inline fan via a Y splitter.

I didn't design the set up, but it seems to work. That said the inline fan is about 230mm tall.

No reason why you cannot use an in-line fan.

One often overlooked reason for poor extraction is an air tight bathroom door. The air extracted from the bathroom has to be replaced by air entering the bathroom.

A wide gap under the door is the simplest way to allow replacement air to enter the bath room

No reason why you cannot use an in-line fan.

One often overlooked reason for poor extraction is an air tight bathroom door. The air extracted from the bathroom has to be replaced by air entering the bathroom.

A wide gap under the door is the simplest way to allow replacement air to enter the bath room

I will have a go at this first - the door is in fact very tight and close to the frame and floor. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I recently had to replace the inline extractor for my local pub. They have a single extractor fan (ceiling mount) in both the ladies' and the gents' loos which connect to the inline fan via a Y splitter.

I didn't design the set up, but it seems to work. That said the inline fan is about 230mm tall.

Thanks. The run is in the garage (downstairs bathroom) so size won't be an issue.

Thanks. The run is in the garage (downstairs bathroom) so size won't be an issue.

Cool.

For what it is worth, this is the one I fitted

It was a like for like replacement. The customer paid a couple of quid more for one from ebay because of the shorter delivery time.

His runs constantly 14+ hours a day and I estimate that it was about 6 years old. It has two speed settings (determined at the point of installation).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back