Can I Bend The Copper Pipes That Come With A New Monobloc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just ordered a new Grohe Eurostyle monobloc basin tap.

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/grohe-eurostyle-basin-mixer-1-2------33558-/

Presumably it will come with 2 short lengths of copper pipe that screw into the bottom of it, to join to the hot and cold pipes? Am I allowed to bend these pipes to fit? If yes, do I use a bending spring? Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
They'll more than likely come with flexi hoses.

However, if the tails are copper, these are annealed (and thus soft) and can be bent carefully by hand without any tools. Make sure you dont crush the ends out of shape and use either speedfit or compression fittings. Don't try to make any big angles (over 20-30 degrees) with them or they will collapse, and you'll be very upset :confused:

If you bend them before screwing them into the bloc, you won't get them both in the bloc as they''ll hit each other or the sink. Always best to get rid of the copper tails and get a couple of flexible hoses. They cost about £10.
Just be careful you get the correct size hose, generally the tap end is 12mm or 10mm. Take the copper tail to the merchants if you are going to get the hoses just to compare/check the sizes.

Personally I always try to fit taps with copper tails, the tap it's self has less chance off coming lose. Careful with compression fittings! as you tighten up the fitting you might undo the copper tail at the same time.

I always solder mine which is still not beyond the average DIY person, just use solder ring fittings

Sponsored Links
I always solder mine which is still not beyond the average DIY person, just use solder ring fittings

I try to avoid soldering it to be honest, since undoing the tails afterwards for maintenance is a bit of a nuisance. Still, each to his own,eh?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back