Can i block up my fireplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We are decorating our lounge, i have capped off and removed the old gas fire, there is now the hole (see photo). I am building a fake chimney for a tv wall and electric fire, but not sure if i can safely block off/cover the old hole. Not sure if it needs ventilating somehow or filling with insulation or just plaster boarding over.

Advice would be appreciated please.

20191019-191000.jpg

Sponsored Links
Does it have be anything specific or any specific size?

Last one I blocked we used an offcut of hardiebacker with 5x 1" holes at low level. This was then tiled over (don't block them holes) with an ornate log grate bio-ethanol burner & fake logs. This leaves the option to open up the fireplace later.

If you want to completely block it then brick it up but use 1x airbrick, again at low level, then plaster over to suit.

Sponsored Links
Ideal space for that hidden cupboard, the safe, secret booze store :)

OP, you usually open up to appliance Mfr's required dimensions.
you typically sweep the flue and wire all accessible soot.
the flue must be vented at bottom and top.

i've no idea how an elec fire and a fake chimney fit into things (is that a projecting chimney breast?) - do you have a drawing of some kind to post?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back