Can I build a tandem garage here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am looking for advice.

In the picture, it shows land to the side of a property I am planning to purchase. The distance from the house to the fence line (neighbours garage) is 9.8ft and approx 44ft from front of the house to the rear.

Ideally, I would like have a porch way for the front door that protrudes from the house along with the garage being inline with that, a few houses along the road have done this.

To the rear, just a simple door, I could put a door in the side of the house but I would leave that for now. No need for side windows but if possible, perhaps 2 skylights of some sort to allow some light in. I will be keeping the window in the side of the house which you can see in the picture, this is a reception room but more play room area of the house.

The property already had planning permission for a 'gym' and bathroom but I don't want that, I literally want a long block to park 2 cars in and have a bit of a slim workshop.

I am clueless to building and what can be done within a sensible budget, what is allowed and so on, hence my questions.

There is a flue from the boiler, just hiding behind the white crap pipe, circled red, this points straight out of the house. Would this cause any issues or can this be extended?

Does this all seem OK for me to look into having someone build me a garage block here? I am guessing that it would come off the house and not require another wall which would consume more room, which is very precious given the space.

I just want to park 2 cars and have my workbench in there. Obviously electricity too. Prefab, breeze block, brick, what is the best route for me to go?

51000227718_92eaaccff8_c.jpg

Thank you for any help and advice!

Sponsored Links
Is anyone able to advise if a single layer of breeze block to rear side and front(with garage door) will be suitable? Obviously on top of concrete floor.

Thanks

Yeah single skin block will be fine for a garage. The width will be very tight for modern cars- driving in ok, can you open thedoors though? (You'll need 1 or 2 buttresses on the outer wall so effective wall thickness 250 odd mm.)
V limited on height as well if you're linking to that rear extrnsion, only looks about 2.5m.
Last one-is that the only accessfrom ftont to back of house? If yes then consider end door on garage (so when you dig the gardrn up you don't have to barrow it thru the house)

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, really helpful. I just wanted to understand if it can be done and any more info so I'm not a total dummy when I get some builders over to quote it up.

I want a roller door on the front as you can have the frame within the opening, giving a wider opening for a car.

Rear, I am not decided as yet, probably just a single windowed door so I can keep my tool box at the back there to one side

I pretty much just want to store 2 cars in, nothing huge and a little spare space at the back

What would a rough cost be for this, appreciate it's a bit of an open question but just interested in thoughts from those in the know.

Excluding electrics and doors.

How long is a piece of string? What part the country you in ,(wages vary massively), what roof type & covering u planning on.
Roller shutters are more secure than up & over but not very securye- whats the area like for crime?
That flue will need modding- there's £500 straight away.

Ha, pretty much what I thought, was an open ended question.

I'm in Surrey. To be honest, roof wise, what ever is advised and looks ok from ground level. I assume a flat roof that lines up with the extension.
Safe area and dead end road.

In regards to the flue, is it a case of a 90 degree extension to the pipe poking out of the house so that it pops out the top of the garage roof?

Excuse my ignorance and newbie questions, just trying to learn what I can so I can be aware when talking to builders.

Appreciate your help.

Yes plume kit should do it, must be fitted by gas safe so find one & check with them.
Roof wise flattie sloping to the back or front will be easiest for drainage, anything else & you're into box or valley gutters. Flattie may look carp from the front, consider a pitched parapet on front elevation to complement house roofline.
You should get change out of £10k

Thanks so much! That all sounds good to me, the extension stops being doing a slopped roof which would have been nice for some storage but i can live without that.

Great info and all noted.

The misses thinks we should bring the garage out slightly at the front and incorporate it into a porch way with a roof that runs along the front, so it doesn't look like a flat roof from front as you mention.

Thanks again mate, very helpful

Other houses have, inline with an included porch way..

Edit:

The house already has/had planning permission for a "gym" to be built on the side, previous to the rear extension, this actually included a porchway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back