Cost of building Garage... 27K?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking to build a garage at the back of my property and have received some pretty eye watering quotes: 18K, 27K and wait for it... 38K. Admittedly the property is in London but still.. can someone tell me if I'm being unrealistic in expecting a quote around 10-12K (max). It's just to park my car and I asked for a garage that is
5.5m x 5.5M - three walls constructed with breeze blocks (1 side wall rendered), 1 with london yellow brick.
1 pvc door at side
1 window about 1 x 1 m with one opening.
Pitched roof tiled
Fit supplied garage door

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I'm looking to build a garage at the back of my property and have received some pretty eye watering quotes: 18K, 27K and wait for it... 38K. Admittedly the property is in London but still.. can someone tell me if I'm being unrealistic in expecting a quote around 10-12K (max). It's just to park my car and I asked for a garage that is
5.5m x 5.5M - three walls constructed with breeze blocks (1 side wall rendered), 1 with london yellow brick.
1 pvc door at side
1 window about 1 x 1 m with one opening.
Pitched roof tiled
Fit supplied garage door

Any thoughts?

you can do it easily with 10k - hire a few people to dig trenches at 60 per day

Bring in brickie for three days at 90 a day

Roofer for two days at 100 a day

Pretty much done!!!

A 5x3 garage would be £2.5k to get out of the ground, likewise for the brickwork (inc window), £2k for the roof, and £1k for the doors and drainage

Even with London weighting and the bigger size, it should still be within the £10-£12k range

Sponsored Links
Just done a largish garage in Bristol so not sure how the rates vary.

c35m2 single skin of rendered blockwork, trussed hip ended roof on top but with a slate finish, supplied and fitted side gate, PVC personnel door but not garage doors, oversited driveway ready for external contractor to come in and connected to main drains. £20k plus Taxes.

Have no idea how rates vary between Bristol and London, i'll be amazed if you can do it as cheaply as our esteemed Australian Estimator is suggesting.

Can anyone explain how the costs arrive at 20k? I can't see it myself.

I d like to see this as well please - A breakdown of approx where the costs would go so that we can scrutinise whether the OP is getting shafted or not

I had one made about 18 months ago. Just under the 30m2 BR limit. Cavity insulated walls with block and brick, double pitched tiled roof with two gable ends. Double glazed and leccy.

Due to proximity of trees it needed an engineered foundation of pads and steel.

The builder originally quoted about £23k. I wasn't ready to go ahead but when he became short of work he rang me and offered to do it for £18k and so I went for it.

He insisted that there was no profit in it for him at that price but he needed to keep his gang in work. Whether this is true or not I have no idea.

Can anyone explain how the costs arrive at 20k? I can't see it myself.

I d like to see this as well please - A breakdown of approx where the costs would go so that we can scrutinise whether the OP is getting shafted or not

Sure, no problem.

20% ground works

20% block/brickwork

20% roof

20% other

20% other others

Let me know if you need any further info

Why is he being shafted?

Lets be fair even if the build comes in at 15k and the builder makes some profit, who are you to argue that he shouldn't. Why do you consistently infer that all builders are trying to scam people. We are in a business, part of the business is to make a profit. If you don't like it, keep shopping around until you find quotes you are happy with.

You don't begrudge Aldi their profit on the beans you buy, or Virgin the profit on their internet connection they give you - no doubt your current employer also likes to make a profit on the services you provide and you go along with that.

18k was the OP's lowest price, its likely to be the lowest quality.

You wouldn't expect a Bentley at Mondeo prices, certain builders cost more, because they do more. While I agree that a garage is pretty basic, a decent firm will still have the same overheads regardless of the job itself. They are likely to be easier to communicate with, have more tolerance in their price to cope with your ever changing minds, and be clean and tidy, because thats the way they work.

The garage I built at 20k - I priced it as I saw it. It was verified by an independent Quantity Surveyor - so weather you like it or not, some things are more expensive to build than you would imagine. Thats why we professionals price jobs not you.

Back to the OP - if you feel comfortable with the chap at 18k, it would appear he was competitive in his pricing, reference him and make sure the quality is right. If it is, engage him. If not keep shopping around until you can find someone who fits your requirements in terms of quality and price. You are lucky most of us don;t charge for estimation services.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back