Can I drive 36VAC Christmas lights from DC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got some decorative LED lights on a holly tree in our front garden but the PSU has broken. It is a 36VAC PSU supplied by Noma who make the lights. I really don't want to replace the lights as there are 720 and it was a big job fitting them. These particular lights don't seem to be sold now and PSUs for similar tend to be DC. Can I run these lights from a DC PSU ?

Sponsored Links
Well if they don't work at present there's no harm in trying. Have you a Photo of the PSU input/output?

Last edited:
See attached

Attachments

• IMG_3740.jpeg
    IMG_3740.jpeg
    359.1 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_3741.jpeg
    IMG_3741.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 158
Sponsored Links
On DC, you will probably find that only half of them work.

Or just buy a replacement: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333539161674

Funnily enough I've got exactly that one already sitting in my eBay basket. Only problem is that it is the wrong connector - it has two equal semi circular holes instead of two flat ones of different sizes, it seems to be the more modern type. I was waiting to see if I could do better. Incidentally I lashed up a 24 VAC PSU to the lights earlier (again with the more recent connector type) and they work pretty well, almost as bright as with the original 36V PSU. Might just stick to that.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back