Can I fit 3-wire to my light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've recnetly bought some smart switches that requires 3-wire connection. I've opened my old switch and found there are dangling blue and black wires. I wonder are these just un-used neutral wire as the old switch is 2 wire?
IMG-20210718-170154.jpg
IMG-20210718-165725.jpg
blu63ask41c71.png

Sponsored Links
upload_2021-7-18_21-50-22.png

Well, the blues and blacks are not unused neutrals. They either are neutrals or they are not.

It's a rather unusual arrangement.

You will have to test whether they are connected to neutral.
If they are, then you can connect your new switches to them.

View attachment 239466

Well, the blues and blacks are not unused neutrals. They either are neutrals or they are not.

It's a rather unusual arrangement.

You will have to test whether they are connected to neutral.
If they are, then you can connect your new switches to them.
Agreed other than I see nothing unusual.

Sponsored Links
I have a question. The top image is for 3 light/3 switches, and I only have 3 neutral wires, and the bottom is for 2 light and I only have 2 wires.
I was expecting to have 4 neutral wires (3 from light 1 from the power supply) for 3 lights. Am I incorrect?

You are not incorrect.

You have a three-core (red, yellow & blue) and earth going to two of the lights, so only one neutral.

Therefore - there must be a (switched) live and neutral running between these two lights - or some other arrangement with a junction box somewhere.

Not unheard of, but that is why I said it was unusual (i.e. not usual).

EFLI. Running a 3 core to a switch, using one core for neutral is not unusual. It happens every day. No matter what you say. You'll find it happens all the time.

I was being light-hearted following on the ‘not unusual’ theme. Forgot this is a serious site for serious people. I posted the first three lines of the second verse in the song.

Being serious, seeing a 3-core in a 3-plate installation is becoming more common as more people are fitting home automation and wireless light switching.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back