Use a 3 way WiFi switch for a single light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a couple of spare 3 way smart switches. I have a single light switch in my shed and thought I might as well make it 'smart'! So I wondered if I can use my old 3 way smart switch...

I've attached a picture of the wiring for the existing switch, a pic of the back of the smart 3-way switch and a pic of the other wiring in the back of the light switch box. The front of the WiFi switch just has the one button.

There is just one light and just one switch in the shed, all working fine. Is it possible to use the three way switch? The WiFi switch make is Maxico. Had tucked away in the garage for a few years!

There are neutral wires in the switch box but not currently connected to the existing switch.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 20230312_171235.jpg
    20230312_171235.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230312_171245.jpg
    20230312_171245.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230312_171250.jpg
    20230312_171250.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have a couple of spare 3 way smart switches. I have a single light switch in my shed and thought I might as well make it 'smart'! So I wondered if I can use my old 3 way smart switch... .... There is just one light and just one switch in the shed, all working fine. Is it possible to use the three way switch? The WiFi switch make is Maxico. Had tucked away in the garage for a few years! .... There are neutral wires in the switch box but not currently connected to the existing switch.
Provided that the 'neutral wires' at the current switch are, indeed, neutrals, I see no reason why you cannot do as you wish.

Kind Regards, John

That's good to know. Thank you. Could you advise where the wires should go?

was thinking both blue neutral wires go into the N connection on the WiFi switch.

The brown wire currently going into Common on the existing switch, goes into either of the wavey line connections on the WiFi switch.

And the other brown wire currently going to L1 on the current switch, goes into the L/Load connector of the WiFi switch.

Does that sound right? Thanks again

That's good to know. Thank you. Could you advise where the wires should go?

was thinking both blue neutral wires go into the N connection on the WiFi switch.

The brown wire currently going into Common on the existing switch, goes into either of the wavey line connections on the WiFi switch.

And the other brown wire currently going to L1 on the current switch, goes into the L/Load connector of the WiFi switch.

Does that sound right? Thanks again
Does the way I've phrased this make it obvious I'm not a qualified electrician!?

Sponsored Links
Does that sound right?
It does sound about right to me :)

Screenshot_20230313-212539_Chrome.jpg

The circuit diagram shows that the switch should work with those connections.
But if it doesn't, just swap the 'L/Load' and 'wavey line' connections.

...and as above, hopefully the blue wires are neutrals!

Does the way I've phrased this make it obvious I'm not a qualified electrician!?
Perhaps - but, for what it's worth, I'm not a "qualified electrician", either, so I don't think you need to worry too much!

What matters is "what one knows", not "what one is" :)

Kind Regards, John

Just to say for those who don't know -

These are to us known as two-way switches - three-way in the U.S.

Just to say for those who don't know - These are to us known as two-way switches - three-way in the U.S.
Indeed - and some of the listings for this product actually sort-of make that point. For example ...

MILFRA KS-641 is a luxury tempered glass remote control 3 way light switch. Most of the time, two way smart switch or three way smart switch refers to the same thing.

Kind Regards, John

It doesn't inspire confidence in the manufacturer though when they use US terminlogy to describe a product aimed at the UK market.

It doesn't inspire confidence in the manufacturer though when they use US terminlogy to describe a product aimed at the UK market.
True. However, although it's described as an EU/UK version, and fits a UK backbox I rather suspect that the 'works' (and documentation) were originally intended for a US market.

In any event, for what it's worth, I personally wouldn't be too concerned about the extent to which the documentation "inspired confidence" - after all, it's only a light switch and, short of bursting into flames, it can't really do any harm, even if it doesn't work as intended (or not for long)!

Kind Regards, John

These are to us known as two-way switches - three-way in the U.S.
That confused me too, two way it can switch to either output, so could supply a green and a red lamp, three way it can supply three lamps, red, amber and green for example.

We don't normally use the switch that way around, but that's how it got it's name, could also call it a change over switch.

I can't work out why one would call a switch shown here 1678801588657.pngthree way? This 1678802044696.pngwould be a three way pair of switched easy enough to count the three paths. However in real terms the switch needs power, the neutral is clearly marked but as to which line wires it can draw power from is not 1678802398098.png the one marked L/Load is clearly an output, but the diagram that @RandomGrinch shows has it as feed on one switch and load on the other, not sure if with an electronic switch if you can reverse them?

The two way smart switching I installed used a relay DSC_6061r.jpg the connections at the bottom go to the original two way switches, but looks for a change in state, so does not matter if physical or wifi is used you can switch on/off from any.

The switches have a sensing wire, light_switch.jpgthe slave is connected to master with a sensing wire, and the instructions which come with the switch shows how to connect. 1678803275245.png
This is the problem, there is no longer a single wiring diagram which fits all, and in some cases like the relay shown, we have extra low voltage and low voltage and they must not be mixed. 1678803524448.png So it is pointless using a diagram from another switch, we need to use the diagram which came with your switch and no other. I did find an advert for KS-641 smart switch with the diagram @RandomGrinch showed, however it states 100 - 240 volt, and your picture shows 220 - 240 volt, so clearly not the same switch even if it has same number on it.

And the incorrect labels like live instead of line, means you can't trust it has been translated correctly, so in really terms it is a suck it and see, unless you have some better instructions.

Not put a meter on the control wires, but sure well under 100 volt, and not even sure if AC. The sign says don't connect to between 100 and 240 volt AC.

The problem is we have no idea what the instructions which came with the switch says, and it seems odd to use two electronic switches, more likely one switch is a simple two way switch and one electronic.

What is missing is which termial/s need a line supply? it could take a supply from all three, or just the com which seems unlikely as marked load, or either of the two change over contacts.

It seems unlikely trial and error would cause any harm, but it really should say on the instructions, not require a suck it and see method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back