wifi light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking of fitting a wifi light switch but the original one only has the t&e and the wifi asks for a live neutral. it runs through metal conduit would i be able to run a single wire up the conduit to the ceiling rose live?
please no smart arse comments

Sponsored Links
Running up from the switch to the fitting will be nigh on impossible.

The way i’d be doing it would be to disconnect one of the lives coming from the pendant to the switch, tying on two new pieces of cable (really, really well tied on!) and definitely long enough to reach and pull them down, one becomes two and you’re good to go.

If it’s that really thin, black rolled/slip conduit you may struggle. Fairly liquid or similar would help if you could get it down the conduit but if it’s rolled it’s not water right so may well escape out

Sponsored Links
The Energenie MiHome Wifi enabled light switch does not require a neutral, and I use one with a 10W LED bulb and it works fine. I have three stand alone remote controls, which will switch it on/off without needing a hub, with the hub I also can switch it on/off with my phone or PC, and set up to three timers and select which days of the week the timers are active. If that is not enough I can also use IFTTT and set up all sorts of daft things like having the light come on when rain is forecast, plus of course extra timers.

However they are not cheap.

You can program in up to three remote controls, all other items need the gateway, with the gate way you can also control with a PC or Smart Phone, you will get with the PC this.
upload_2017-11-12_12-18-0.png
That is my light switch set to wake me up in the morning. You only have three timers using the hub however it also works with IFTTT which will allow all sorts to be done.
The main page will look like this.
upload_2017-11-12_12-21-56.png
I have two radiator valves two sockets one light switch and an energy monitor which can also be switched on/off with the PC or Smart phone, the sockets will also work with up to three remote controls, and we use them to control extruder alarms so we know if mother has gone wheel about, I would not think it would be worth using the system for one device, however for me it really works well, we tried using cheap plug in timers and remote sockets, but found either we would forget to switch back on or the carers times would change or even some one at front door which resulted in us having to run upstairs etc. Having a timer and remote in the same device was what we needed and this does that, so 8 am the alarm auto turns off for carers and back on at 9:30 am we also had problem with sun in bay windows heating the room to silly heat before central heating switched off, again it cured the problem. And the energy monitor is a toy really, at the moment showing charge rate of battery charger in garage.

Does that answer your question?

I noted today although the sockets don't report on or off, the light switch does, but only with the phone not with the PC.
Snapshot000000.jpg
Sorry not a good picture of the phone but you can see it actually shows my bedroom light is on, and the energy monitor is on, but where it says doors alarms that is one of the double socket supplies it does not say if on or off.

Hi, does anyone have any feedback on this wifi light switch? Is it safe and how easy would it be to replace an existing 2 gang light switch?

Well it's made in China, available on ebay and has two different voltage ratings in the same ad - it must be good!

Is it safe

As it's a direct from China item, if it sets on fire and your house burns down, the only person you can blame is yourself.

how easy would it be to replace an existing 2 gang light switch?
That depends on whether the existing switch has a neutral, and if the two gangs are connected to the same circuit or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back