Light Switch Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Need some help please. I'm changing my living room light switch to a wifi one and need some help with the wiring. The existing set up has two switches either end of the room.

I have attached the photos of the main switch and the new wifi one.

Please help. Thanks

Attachments

• Old Light Switch.jpg
    Old Light Switch.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 252
  • New Wifi Switch.jpg
    New Wifi Switch.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 243
Sponsored Links
Ive just checked the other switch and that has just 3 wires connected which i presume the blue one is the neutral? If thats so, can i connect it here?

Attachments

• IMG_20200517_150828.jpg
    IMG_20200517_150828.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 226
Nope ,the blue is a switched live . No neutral there.
Your metal switch plates must be earthed ,and they are not !!!

Sponsored Links
Oh ok, thanks guys. Is that common for there not be a neutral on a light switch? Can it be done another way or what are my options?

Oh ok, thanks guys. Is that common for there not be a neutral on a light switch? Can it be done another way or what are my options?
You should worry more that they are not earthed !!

Not on your pics ??? If you mean the earth conductors are terminated in the mounting box ,that is not earthing the switchplate .

Not on your pics ??? If you mean the earth conductors are terminated in the mounting box ,that is not earthing the switchplate .

I see what you mean terryplumb, I will have to get a professional in to have a look at it quickly. Thanks

The earth conductors should go to the earth terminal on the switch plate . A seperate ,short piece, of earth cable can link from the switchplates earth terminal ,to the earth terminal on the metal mounting box. Many consider that to be good practice ,however ,if the mounting box has a fixed lug it isn't really required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back