wifi light switch

Sponsored Links
I did think it might be a bit dodgy? Doe anyone know of a decent wifi switch to use? I will send a picture of the existing switch connections tomorrow....time for bed now.
Thanks for the comments.

It does depend on what you want it to do, I was simply lazy and did not want to run wires to a switch at the bed head, all I wanted to do was switch the light on/off from in bed, and a small remote control does that A1, I can also switch it on/off from back and front doors, but that is not really required, all three remote controls are programmed the same, so they all have two sockets and my bedroom light programmed in.

Since I also have the TRV heads I need to have a hub to work them, so the light and two sockets is also programmed into the hub, plus an energy monitoring socket, but the light switch does not need the hub, it was just since there I programmed it in.

I actually now have a problem, I am about to rent out the house, there is no problem with sockets and light switch, they will still all work with no remote or hub, however the TRV head needs the hub, this is a problem, as the hub is not fixed in any way, and it would be easy for anyone to walk off with it. Since the TRV's don't need to be altered on a regular basis there is no reason why the pegler i30 stand alone head can't be used, these were quite cheap from screwfix, however when I came to buy them they have been withdrawn, £40 for two heads was not bad, but now it seems I will need to pay nearly as much for two non wifi heads as for the wifi one. I may hide the hub in the loft!

image2.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg Hi, managed to look at my existing light switch wiring, the two switches are for my outside light and hallway light (image 1). I have posted the pictures below.

I have 2 lives coming through for each light and not sure what the connecting wire is?

image1.jpegimage2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg

The wifi switch i want to replace it with has this wiring diagram below and not sure where to connect the lives?

wifi wiring.jpg

Sponsored Links
image3-jpeg.136513

What does a switch do?

What do you think the right hand switch, B, would do without the link?

Therefore, what do you think the link does?

thanks EFLImpudence, i guess without it, it would mean the light would be on constant? sorry i am no electrician and was just looking to see how my current wiring would fit onto the wifi switch?

Your help would be most appreciated.

I appreciate you're not an electrician but you should understand how a switch works.
It just connects together two (or more) wires to make a continuous one so the electricity can flow to the (in this case) light.

upload_2018-2-14_15-26-32.png

Figured out what the link does?

On your new switch,

the wire supplying the electricity will go to L
the wire to one light wil go to L1
the wire to the other light to L2
(there won't be an L3 if you only buy a double switch)

Plus - you will need another bit of wire from the connector block with the black and blue wires to N

Excellent, that makes sense. thank you! i couldn't understand which wire was the one supplying the electricity but you've explained that to me.

many thanks for your help as always.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back