Can I get a kitchen drinking water tap with just mains cold water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am refurbishing my house and will be installing a water softener (probably from BWT).

I however wanted a tap in the kitchen for just drinking water that is direct from mains with no hot water (like outdoor garden taps)

Are there good brand slim/compact taps available that take in just mains water that I can install in kitchen next to my main tap. Searched a bit online but could not find anything.

Or if not, can I repurpose a regular mixer tap by somehow sealing or capping one of the pipes? I would probably buy one of these if it can be done
www.amazon.co.uk/GROHE-BauEdge-BauLoop-Single-Lever-31368001/dp/B07X49F9DG

Or finally, are there any taps that use water filters that I can use without the filter? I like the look of some of the slim filter taps like the ones below but don't need the water filter feature. Also some of these appear to be Chinese generic ones - not sure if these are available in a good brand
www.amazon.co.uk/KES-Kitchen-Stainless-Drinking-Z504CLF-BK/dp/B07S2RNM72
www.amazon.co.uk/HERCHR-rotating-anti-splash-environmentally-stainless/dp/B07ZRRV598/

Sponsored Links
Best not using half a mixer, you'll create a dead leg with the capped tail. If mixer is the only type that suits your aesthetic, connect both tails to the drinking cold.
Apart from that, any tap will do.

Best not using half a mixer, you'll create a dead leg with the capped tail. If mixer is the only type that suits your aesthetic, connect both tails to the drinking cold.
Thats brilliant!! Am probably gonna go with that as it means I can use a good brand.

Sponsored Links
If you use a proper kitchen hot and cold tap then you can get drinking water from the cold supply.

It is a "proper" kitchen tap when the hot and cold are NOT mixed in the tap and have separate channels in the spout. The hot and cold do not meet until they have left the tap at the end of the spout.

I am confused (my default state)...

Why would you want cold softened water coming out of your existing kitchen tap anyway? Shouldn't it be hot soft water and regular "hard" cold water?

That said, one of my customers was really pee'd off to discover, after his kidney transplant, that his plumber had run both hot and cold softened water to his kitchen tap.

Yes, do this.
Don't leave a dead leg in the pipework.

https://www.pozzani.co.uk/index.php?cPath=141_301

I don't have a water softener but installed one of these plus filter when I redid my kitchen.
To be honest, I don't use it.
The idea was to stop using Brita filter jugs.

I would have unsoftened water in a kitchen

AFAIK, you are not supposed to drink softened water. That said, the people that sell water softeners say that it is perfectly safe, the people that sell water filters say it is bad for you...

For the record, I have an Insinkerator "boiling hot" (it ain't boiling hot..) water tap that provides the regular hot and cold plus filtered cold water in my kitchen. I normally drink the regular unfiltered cold water.

I've got a tap like this:

https://www.franke.com/gb/en/hs/expertise/special-features/franke-filterflow.html

Normal Hot and Cold are softened ( the reason for cold softened is that you don't get the limescale build-up on sink, dishes etc when you mix for washing or any other reason to use cold water)..
The filter tap i have not bothered with a filter, and directly plumbed in the unsoftened mains cold water.

1 tap, three outlets. Plumbing under the sink is a bit tight, but do the pipe work once the tap is in your hand so you can see the layout of plumbing.

Personally I have been drinking softened water for approx 20 years, but understand that anyone who has a sodium controlled diet should not drink softened water...
It is your choice on drinking it or not - I doubt you will find much/any medical advise on studies that have been done! I went with the filterflow setup such that everyone who uses the tap has the option (other then someone who wants to drink hot water!)

I've got a tap like this:

https://www.franke.com/gb/en/hs/expertise/special-features/franke-filterflow.html

Normal Hot and Cold are softened ( the reason for cold softened is that you don't get the limescale build-up on sink, dishes etc when you mix for washing or any other reason to use cold water)..
The filter tap i have not bothered with a filter, and directly plumbed in the unsoftened mains cold water.

1 tap, three outlets. Plumbing under the sink is a bit tight, but do the pipe work once the tap is in your hand so you can see the layout of plumbing.

Personally I have been drinking softened water for approx 20 years, but understand that anyone who has a sodium controlled diet should not drink softened water...
It is your choice on drinking it or not - I doubt you will find much/any medical advise on studies that have been done! I went with the filterflow setup such that everyone who uses the tap has the option (other then someone who wants to drink hot water!)
That looks great albeit a bit expensive. Will investigate it if it avoids having to fit an extra tap. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back