Can I get a single light switch with a neon light??

Lol just imagining what johns kitchen could be like.
A big red bulkhead light with a sign next to it saying cellar light on!

Anyway, if the OP only uses 1 switch, you could set the switches so the kitchen one works conventionally and then put some tape over the external door switch to prevent it being used.

Sponsored Links
That was going to be my suggestion, only instead of a light above the door, an indicator module in a 2-module grid switch.

As for the rest - this is a garage, and presumably therefore there'd be no real objection to surface wiring - at the same time as adding an indicator the 2-way switching could be done properly.

Lol just imagining what johns kitchen could be like. A big red bulkhead light with a sign next to it saying cellar light on!
Fortunately, the door to the cellar is in a little dark 'corridor' just off the kitchen, and therefore not really an aesthetic issue as far as the kitchen is concerned - but the light from the 'indicator lamp' certainly shines unmistakably into the kitchen when it's on!
Anyway, if the OP only uses 1 switch, you could set the switches so the kitchen one works conventionally and then put some tape over the external door switch to prevent it being used.
From what the OP has said, I imagine that he probably wants the two way switching, so that he can switch the garage light on/off without having to go into the house/kitchen.

Kind Regards, John

You and OP could always have a security camera in the cellar/garage and a PC permanently on in the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
You and OP could always have a security camera in the cellar/garage and a PC permanently on in the kitchen.
Anything's possible :). However, even that would require someone to look at the screen of the PC/monitor. The great thing about audible alarms, or alarm indicators which actually 'illuminate' rooms is that one is forced to become aware of them, even if one is not paying any attention to a particular neon, screen or whatever!

Kind Regards, John

Fortunately, the door to the cellar is in a little dark 'corridor' just off the kitchen, and therefore not really an aesthetic issue as far as the kitchen is concerned - but the light from the 'indicator lamp' certainly shines unmistakably into the kitchen when it's on!
(the kitchen is about 1 foot to the left of that door)

Kind Regards, John

That was going to be my suggestion, only instead of a light above the door, an indicator module in a 2-module grid switch.
I tried that as well. First a mini-neon, then a (much larger) grid neon indicator module. Both are fine for anyone who looks at the indicator to see if it's illuminated or not, but the sort of people who forget to switch lights off seemingly don't go looking for indications that they had been left on! Only when I installed the 'light above the door', which bathed them in light, were they forced to be aware that the cellar lights had been left on!

I would add that there is a secondary system, which has hardly even been invoked since the 'light above the door' was installed, which sounds an audible alarm for about a minute once every hour or so if the cellar lights have been left on more than (IIRC) about 4 hours.

Kind Regards, John

Do I take it from your silence on the matter that, those potential issues apart, you are content with the current path for the neon which I indicated?

You bovvered if he ain't? ;)

Do I take it from your silence on the matter that, those potential issues apart, you are content with the current path for the neon which I indicated?
You bovvered if he ain't? ;)
Not bovvered, no, but curious. Since he had asked me what the current path was, it seemed surprising that he said nothing when I told him! I suspect that he thought I would not be able to answer the question, but then decided that the best way to save face was to remain silent when I gave him an answer :)

Kind Regards, John

That's odd - I could have sworn I had replied, and not remained silent.

Have I been the victim of more stealth-modding?

Errrr..... no. Here it is:

That issue apart, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

That's odd - I could have sworn I had replied, and not remained silent. ... Errrr..... no. Here it is:
That issue apart, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?
That was a response to my question about your failure to respond/comment when I answered your original question - not a response to that original answer!!!

I take it that you did not find fault with the current path I indicated.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back