can I glue edging strips to laminate floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently put down laminate floor. In front of our fireplace, there are some stone blocks which are higher than the floor level (I'm being told this is a legal requirement to ensure that any wood falling out of the fireplace lands on something which can't catch fire). I have laid the floor around these blocks.

Before I put the floor down, I bought edge strips (the ones that are meant to cover gaps between one set of floor and the next). I screwed the plastic groves into the concrete subfloor and expected to be able to push the top pretty bit into the groves after the laminate had been laid. I was able to do this on one side of the fireplace, but on the other two exposed sides I cannot do it.

I still need to cover one side where the boards run parallel with the edge and one side where they run up to edge.

I'm considering gluing the edging strip to the laminate boards.

Am I correct in thinking that the boards will expand/contract mainly across the boards rather than along the length of the boards? If that's the case, there's presumably (???) not a big problem in gluing the edge strip to the length of a board. What about gluing it across the end of the boards? There are 4 boards across which I need to cover.

Sponsored Links
No problem to glue the strip onto the boards. Wood (if you can consider laminate as wood) is very strong and in the event of extreme expansion it will push the strip off.

Thanks WoodYouLike. With that assurance I can finally get those last bits of edging put in place :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back