Can I heat up a can of baked beans using natural gas hob?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering having baked beans as part of my breakfast, along with a boiled egg and some toast. Am I permitted, under the current building regs and gas legislation, to place the saucepan on my gas hob, turn on the gas and press the igniter button? Clearly there is also an electrical circuit involved..

Sponsored Links
only if you are a RGI and you hold part P for electrics and inform BC at least 24hours before you commence.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Tell me you will first open the can using a safe and recognized method.

if its a ring pull can i hope you will be wearing gloves and goggles in case there is any splatter

Sponsored Links
Don't forget you have to pay Brown Nose Duty for producing gas at home.

I am more concerned by the blase way that you mention boiling an egg and toasting presumably bread. This lack of care for the details makes me question your competence.

FFS get a professional in.

To open the baked bean can safely you need 6 men,

1 man to do a risk assesment.
1 man to errect a safety barrier to corden off the work area.
1 man to ensure everyone is wearing yellow vests, hard hats, gogles and boots.
1 man to open the beans.
1 man to safely dispose of the can lid.
1 man to generally oversee the project.

The HSE is turning this county into a bunch of sissy whimps, when I did my NVQ in engineering manufacture, the teacher told us a tale about a bloke who accidently choped of his fingers in a gilletine, he casually picked them up and put them in is coat pocket and went to A&E.
The doctor had to clean off all the bits of tobaco before stiching them back on!
He was probably back at work next day . :LOL:
:cool:

not one single person even questioned the OP to confirm these were low sugar beans, come on now people we cannot let the fundamental standards slip

I think he should increase his public liability insurance as well. ;)

Well, it wasn't as straightforward as I'd hoped. On this occasion for some reason the gas ring failed to light when I pressed the piezoelectric button. For a second I was wondering if there was no gas pressure, but it was making the right kind of whooshing sound, so I had to consider the possibility that for some reason, air might have got into the pipes. Of course, it could have been a bad spark, but it made the right clicking noise and gave me quite a bolt when I used my other hand as a basic HT voltage testing device.

Maybe it was a bad idea to attempt to purge the system. For 45 minutes. Still no flame. Until I used a lighter.

I wonder if the insurance company will replace the beans?

Please open the windows and doors to introduce some fresh air dont leave them open too long. Now try again let us know how you get on :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back