Can I install a ceiling fed shower close to a IP rated spot light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I have 4 spot lights in my bathroom (IP fire rated). I have installed a corner shower tray and want to get a ceiling fed digital shower. The light in that corner is a little off centre in respect to the shower tray. is there any regulations about how close I could have the shower head to the light?
If need be I will have to move the light fitting?

Sponsored Links
The IP (Ingress protection) rating is nothing to do with fire. The first digit refers to the protection against the light being hit by a solid object and the second digit, protection from ingress of water.

Most shower lights are IP65 of which the 5 signifies 'protected from low pressure jets' of water. So the question is, is what is the IP rating of the light you are referring to?

The area in a bathroom above a shower is defined as 'Zone 1' In this zone a minimum rating of IP45 is required, although most shower lights are actually rated higher.

The IP (Ingress protection) rating is nothing to do with fire. The first digit refers to the protection against the light being hit by a solid object and the second digit, protection from ingress of water.

Most shower lights are IP65 of which the 5 signifies 'protected from low pressure jets' of water. So the question is, is what is the IP rating of the light you are referring to?

The area in a bathroom above a shower is defined as 'Zone 1' In this zone a minimum rating of IP45 is required, although most shower lights are actually rated higher.

Just on a point of order, the first digit refers to ingress by a solid object, rather than being hit by. The IK rating designates impact resistance.

Sponsored Links
Being rated for fire seem to remember EXII something does not mean it is rated against water, often it is, but does not have to be. In the main the fire rated lamps are horrid things, not what I would want in a house, they are normally dust proof although not always water proof, The IP rating is just an easy way to show what resistance the item has, until you add the actually rating it means nothing, so IPXXB or IP2X means something or IPXXD or IP4X these are the two ratings often quoted in regulations. For bathroom it is water not dust so IPX4 for zone 1 and 2 and IPX7 in zone 0. So IP44 would seem to cover what you want. However for a bathroom the fitting must be designed for a bathroom, the problem is some fittings will resist the water, but still be damaged by the high humidity, so in the main you look for some thing which actually says suitable for bathrooms.

As far as the fire rating of the ceiling I often wonder how anyone can say a hood will protect like the original plaster board, it's down to how the hood is held in place. Fire will produce draft, and unless there is something to hold the hood in place, in the event of a fire it will simply blow away. There are some lights designed to be cooled solely from below, they can be covered above the lamp without it over heating, but today with surface mount LED lighting there is no good reason to put large holes in the ceiling, if you need fire rated fitting then better to re-design so you don't need one.

I was using simply using laymen's terms ;)
Well, whatever you term it I'm afraid you were wrong.

The first digit has absolutely nothing to do with being "hit" by anything - it is purely a measure of how big any holes are in it. Something 1mm in diameter will go into anything less than IP4x, no matter whether it "hits" it or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back