changing bathroom spotlights with ip44 version / LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

in our bath we have a walk in shower. there are 4, recessed halogen spot lights. i can see something like some transformer from the loft space which is above the bathroom.

out of 4 lights one (which is above shower enclosure) seems to be IP 44 one as i can see a glass panel in front of panel.

we are looking to replace shower with bath and change location. so bath will go in new place.

so i will need to replace other spot lights to IP rated ones so they meet regulation.

Question is-

1) can i just get IP 44 rated bulbs or do i need to change some sort of housing / glass panel as well which will require ceiling to be made good?

2) can i replace halogen with LEDs? i heard something about drivers, do i always driver and if there is some space in loft, is it like for like replacement i.e. remove transformer and halogen with driver and LED?

3) if i dont want to replace with LED, can i simply replace existing lamps with lower wattage ones without changing any transformer etc?

ta

Sponsored Links
1) can i just get IP 44 rated bulbs or do i need to change some sort of housing / glass panel as well which will require ceiling to be made good?
The fitting will need to be IP rated
2) can i replace halogen with LEDs? i heard something about drivers, do i always driver and if there is some space in loft, is it like for like replacement i.e. remove transformer and halogen with driver and LED?
it's likely that the existing transformers are not rated/compatible, so drivers are likely to be required
3) if i dont want to replace with LED, can i simply replace existing lamps with lower wattage ones without changing any transformer etc?
You would need to look at the rating of the transformers, they generally have a low and high rating, you need to be within that, with the load of the lamp.

The fitting will need to be IP rated
it's likely that the existing transformers are not rated/compatible, so drivers are likely to be required
You would need to look at the rating of the transformers, they generally have a low and high rating, you need to be within that, with the load of the lamp.

Thanks. Sorry to bother again but i am not yet clear on few things.

1) Do i replace just the bulbs or do i need housing as well? Any idea where i can buy IP rated Gu 10s?

2) Do LEDs need transformer as well or it depends on fitting like GU 10 where you can get 230 v rated or other voltage rated with transformers.

LOOK at bthe reply above.

It is the FITTING that provides the IP rating. These will probably have silicone seals etc. Also they need to prevent the passage os steam etc through the fitting into the roof space, where the condensation will rot your roof timbers.

Best to stop messing about and get a good quality LED fitting

The Aurora Dob M10 is fab for your purpose and all the drivers are part of the fitting. (DoB = Driver on Board) http://m10.auroralighting.com

Sponsored Links
1) If the fitting is as you have described as already being IP44, that is already in place, so the lamps(bulbs) just need replacing as required. If you are adding further fittings they require to be of the same IP rating. So we are talking about the fittings being IP rated not the lamps.
2) There are a number of LED options out there at the moment
*They can be 230V without drivers
*They can be drivers with 12V lamps
*They can be a composited unit that comes with all you need attached.

Thanks ..

Only one fitting seems to be with glass in front I ie. IP rated fitting as opposed to IP rated bulb.

I will post couple of of pics showing both types of fitting tomorrow.

Thanks

The lights in the pictures are the usual cheap-o-matic poor quality DIY shop rubbish.

Remove all of them and replace with decent LED lights such as those already suggested.

The lights in the pictures are the usual cheap-o-matic poor quality DIY shop rubbish.

Remove all of them and replace with decent LED lights such as those already suggested.

thanks for your reply. as you can see Existing ones are not LED but standard GU10 halogen. As far as i can tell every GU10 bulb i have seen looks like that.

I appreciate these may or may not be the best quality. Question i have been asking all along is not whether to replace but to find out more about whats involved in replacing.

Agreed, as three of them are not ideal for the location as it stands anyway.

Agreed, as three of them are not ideal for the location as it stands anyway.

Out of honest interest how can one decide by looking at some GU10 halogen in two pictures and confirm that they are poor quality. every gU10 halogen that i have seen looks just like that to me!

but to find out more about whats involved in replacing.
After turning off the electricity,
1. Remove old lights from the ceiling
2. Disconnect wiring from the input side of the transformers
3. Dispose of old lights and transformers
4. Connect wiring to the new LED lights
5. Fit new lights into ceiling.

Depending on what lights you have & will get, you may need to make the holes in the ceiling slightly larger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back