can i leave wallpaper backing on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,i have started stripping the wallpaper off in my living room ready to redecorate.as the paper is coming off very easily,it leaves behind the backing paper,i asume its a wallpaper that does that?.it looks sound enough,just wondering if it should be ok to leave it on and paper over it?,never done it before because ive always feared it bubleing up etc.

has anybody had any experience/success doing the same?.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it wallpaper backing or lining paper?

Either way, take it off.

the chances are it will bubble when the new wall paper is put over the top , they may or may not dry back ,but to be on the safe side i would strip it off and start again ,it will probably come of dead easy if you soak it a couple of times

Sponsored Links
Always strip the backing paper..it was originally intended to act as a lining for more paper..but it never work and nearly always bubbles..not worth the risk

ok thanks guys,i guess it will just take a bit longer thats all.
just thought if the walls were bad underneath and it needed lining paper i could of left the backing on to save some time.

dont suppose the fact i will be re-papering with thick embossed type paper would make any difference?,so i should take backing off regardless.
ah well ya can but try eh.
thanks.

You might just get away with it if youre using a thick anaglypta paper..all depends on how well'stuck' the backing-paper is ...I wouldnt like to bet on it though ;)

Not wanting to contradict that but there might be an even slimmer chance of getting away with it...thicker paper=thicker paste=longer time for it to soak into the backing paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back