Can I legally do this myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have had an electrician in to chase some new sockets and fit a new consumer unit. I would like to change the socket covers, light switches and pendants myself is this allowed?

I also have a an old shaver socket in the bathroom, I would like to fit one the same rating and size but I read this is a special area does that mean only qualified persons should do it.

Many thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
You are legally allowed to change the accessories (switches, sockets, light fittings etc...) that includes bathrooms!
But before you do this especially on the lighting circuits, take a note/diagram of the cables, where they are terminated, colours and mark them up, before you start to disconnect them.

General maintenance activities are non-notifiable under part p so there isn't anything stopping you doing it yourself.
If you use metal lights switches etc make sure they are earthed correctly though!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Good idea about noting the connections. :D
It's often a schoolboy error on lighting circuits, one of the most common post is;
I have changed my light fitting and it now stays on all the time, I didn't take any notice where the wires went, please help!

Also remember when buying your switch plates, you can get
one way (switches on/off from that location only)

two way (switches on/off from two different locations, for example landing light top and bottom of stairs)
NB these can also be used as one way switches

Intermediate (which will switch on/off at a third/forth/fifth etc... location)

Something I often do when replacing fittings, or anything with more than the obvious wires - take a digital picture. My phone is now very full of pictures of junction boxes, access plates and so on, much to the amusement of the wife - but I've always managed to get stuff working right!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back