Can i lower detached Garage floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, i am hoping someone can offer some advice. We have a detached garage approx 5m x 5m in size that we want to convert into a home theater / golf simulator room. Mainly a golf simulator room but had to dress it up as a theater for the kids to get the ok from the wife :)

The problem that i have is that the headroom is only 7ft but i need 9ft clearance. I have had quotes to remove the trusses and replace with reinforced flitch beams but these came back too expensive at about 5k.

So i am wondering if i can cut the concrete slab floor out (using the 45 degree rule) and just dig down a few feet and pour in a new concrete floor, i would do most of the work myself to save some money?

Thanks in advance,
Lee

Sponsored Links
I doubt that the foundation depth will allow an extra couple of feet of soil removal + hard core layer + insulation + floor slab and screed etc. That's in spite of the (possible) cost of reinforcing the walls due to the additional soil pressure and the expensive headache of tanking the walls and the hideous steps down into the building.
I'd stick to the roof method if it were me, the alterative is ridiculous. I bet a savvy designer could produce something that would allow a section of the ceiling structure to be removed allowing a portion of the garage for club swing etc.

Hi, thanks for the replies.
Can a roof lantern be added to a pitched roof and would t allow the trusses to be removed?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I doubt that the foundation depth will allow an extra couple of feet of soil removal + hard core layer + insulation + floor slab and screed etc. That's in spite of the (possible) cost of reinforcing the walls due to the additional soil pressure and the expensive headache of tanking the walls and the hideous steps down into the building.
I'd stick to the roof method if it were me, the alterative is ridiculous. I bet a savvy designer could produce something that would allow a section of the ceiling structure to be removed allowing a portion of the garage for club swing etc.
Hi, what about if I left a bit more room round the edges, the floor space is 16ft x 16ft. What about if I dig a mini 2ft pit in the centre at about 12ft x 12ft leaving 2ft all the way round from the walls?
Thanks,
Lee

You will still have the headache of tanking etc, not impossible but more difficult than people think.

Hi Lee, can I ask what you ended up doing in the end? Ive got exactly the same dilemma now and really interested to know what you did.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back