Can I plasterboard around an existing boiler and fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

My apologies for already posting this question within another one of my posts but I think it will get missed by the majority.

I will be insulating an exterior wall in my garage to create a haibitable room which will either require me to put in cavity wall insulation which will mean I can just add plasterboard to the interior face (approx 30-40mm depth inc battens/dot&dab) or I will just add 50mm celotex plus plasterboard to the interior wall (80-90mm total depth)

Either way I need to go around an existing boiler and fuse box which I need to leave in position on the existing block wall for budget reasons and these will be housed in kitchen cabinets. Assuming I leave enough air gap around the boiler is this acceptable or does it contravene any building regulations? How difficult is it to relocate the fuse box to the new depth of wall in the same position as it is now?

Amy advice, suggestions? I'm perfectly aware in an ideal world i'd move them but I simply can't afford to.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Sponsored Links
My apologies for already posting this question within another one of my posts but I think it will get missed by the majority.
No it won’t. :rolleyes:

No offence to paulandfrodo but his response may not be relevant if he hasn't read your previous thread & may not fully appreciate what you propose. It’ not about putting the boiler into a kitchen cabinet (no problem there with space around it), it’s about surrounding it with 50mm of Celotex insulation & plasterboard with the possibility of overheating & choking it to death!

You don’t have to move the boiler location, just move it out so it's flush with the new wall, it’s a drain down & a few new fittings FFS. You seem to be intent on doing this conversion “on the cheap” which isn’t the best route to take.

Richard

I appreciate you are probably right. But you've got to also understand that we are not all blessed with huge budgets. I'm not saying that I would do it if it's a bad idea, just wanted to know what people thought and my post did make it clear that I would possible be using celotex depending on the route I end up taking.

I have an Ideal Classic boiler and the manual suggests that all I need to the side of the boiler is 4mm, 100mm beneath, and 100mm above. Surely this is easily achievable if I stop the plasterboard and or insulation at these measurements.

Otherwise yes you are correct I will investigate how much it would cost to move the boiler to the new wall face.

Thanks for your advice.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Richard

Just noticed your a Norfolk guy too, don't fancy doing a garage conversion for me do you ;)

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back