can i put a security light straight onto a plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I put a security light straight onto a plug? Where the security light is situated is right above an indoor socket. I did use it this way several years ago when these lights first come out, but havent used it in a few years. I have a new puppy which means he wants to go in the garden when its dark and I have a very big garden and need to supervise his outside toilet trips ...... Is it safe the way I am using the light? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
so long as you connect the earth and put a 5 amp fuse in the plug, yes

Thank you dear Mr Breezer. I did make sure at the time when I fitted it several years ago - was advised by a B & Q person, and fitted it with a proper electrical wire, one of those flat stiff ones that you normally put inside the cavity wall. Just wanted to make sure.
Thanks again, elizabeth :D

1) The cable you describe is not suitable for use with a plug - use flex.

2) Cables are not normally put inside cavity walls - they should not run through there without protection in case insulation is there, or is ever put in there, as it can damage the cable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.. it isnt actually a cavity wall, its solid brick, I just meant the type of cable that is used by electricans (b & Q bloke told me to get that) Shall I just use cable that is used say for a table lamp? It was rather awkward to put into a plug, being rather thick wire and very rigid.
Thanks again, Elizabeth :)

thanks everyone, will go and get some new flex tomorrow and my little german shepherd will now be able to see where to do his messy jobs! :)

elizabethg said:
I just meant the type of cable that is used by electricans (b & Q bloke told me to get that)
Blokes that work at B&Q are the last people you should trust for advice...

bqman.jpg

:LOL:

Ban, are any diy superstore's allow to give out electrical advice ? Let alone knowing Part P !

tee hee :D ....should i avoid b & q tomorrow and go to homebase for my flex???!!

In all fairness .. I wonder if the shed person advised to fit that cable to a plug ? Have noticed how some people refer to a socket as a plug.

Thinking cavities and solid brick ......... several inches of dif there !! And so :idea:

P

i am inclined to agree with you to a point. asking person could say plug meaning socket, and versa vica

the other thing we will nevr know is what was actually said, and,

did the person asked have "alec" (on his orange bib that they wear in q & b) and if so, did the person asking think it was short for alec-trician

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back