Can I put sockets on a redundant shower radial circuit?

I'm surprised your surprised - given the nature of the responses the OP has given and the usual my friend the electrician is , out of town, on holiday, too busy, unavailable on the telephone etc etc - and I don't want to bother him until I know all the facts - then I will just get him to sign it of - Part P, Building Regs, notification absolutely no problem....... eh what are they?
Nevermind the lack of any certificates or evidence of testing from the 'alleged' rewire 5 years ago put further into doubt by the rainbow of colours in his CU.
While I am more than happy to help any diyer with electrical problems, that help stops abruptly when the less than competent diyer starts messing with contents of the CU especially, as in this case, when there is the lack of response to the question, how did you 'turn the electric off'?

Aw - maybe he's just a bloke who wants to wire some sockets into an existing circuit. Maybe he figured out that if he came here direct and said he wanted to open his CU, he would be flayed alive. Maybe when he says 'electric' he means 'electricity'. Come on guys, it's like the Spanish Inquisition in here. No wonder some people lie. Surely the worst thing is when they get so frustrated with the 'advice' that they move away from the forum and simply crack on blind.

Now - as has been said - I do think it's a touch pointless to open the CU, don't know why he has done it but, there we are, may as well stop him doing something silly now he's in there.

And hell, maybe he has got a very busy electrician mate.

Sponsored Links
Now - as has been said - I do think it's a touch pointless to open the CU, don't know why he has done it
He wants to change his 40Amp MCB for a 20Amp MCB.
but, there we are, may as well stop him doing something silly now he's in there.
Totally agree and the best advice that can be given is get his friend the electrician in to do it.

And hell, maybe he has got a very busy electrician mate.
No he needs an electrician not his mate ;)

Lol - why is it that, on whatever type of internet forum, be it music, gaming or DIY etc, there are always forum regulars that love a good argument and are always sceptical of what other members claim?!

Why would I need to lie about having an electrician friend? Would a huge crowd of angry electricians arrive at my house, brandishing torches and pitchforks??.....No, I don't think so!
If I needed to lie in the first place, why would I make a subsequent post stating that I actually now wish to do the work myself?..... Surely I would just maintain the lie.

I am not a forum regular, therefore am not sitting in front of a computer all day - I've got nothing against anyone that does, far from it - I'm just pointing out that I'm not always available to reply immediately.

Looking at the certificate, it looks like it was a partial rewire, not a full rewire and the yellow sticker is on the CU panel - my bad.

Why would I need to lie about having an electrician friend?
Let's assume none whatsoever.

Which then unavoidably leads to the question

"Why would you ask a friend to lie for you on official documents?"

Care to answer that?

Sponsored Links
It's not really lying is it, if I do the prep work and he goes over it thoroughly, checking all connections, making any additional corrections where neccesary? Don't some electricians have little sidekicks called "electricians mates"?

Who have a far better understanding than you and are SUPERVISED.

And if its NOT REALLY, its NOT REALLY true either.

Don't some electricians have little sidekicks called "electricians mates"?
Yes, they do.

And they work for them.

Do you work for your friend?

And they do what the electrician tells them.

Are you asking him what to do, or are you asking other people?

And when the electrician checks their work, it's work which they have done under his direction and supervision.

Will the work you do be under your friend's direction and supervision?

It's not really lying is it, if I do the prep work and he goes over it thoroughly, checking all connections, making any additional corrections where neccesary?

FOR DESIGN, CONSTRUCTION, INSPECTION & TESTING
I being the person responsible for the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing
of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above,
having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing,
hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible
is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008....

It will be what he has advised, as well as the friendly advice I have received on here. It was my "very real" electrician friend who advised me I'd need a type B MCB by the way.

I think this thread is getting out of hand now. As electricians, you all know that what I intend to do is a simple task and I may not even do it myself yet, but will if I need to. I'm replacing a breaker, connecting two cables via a junction box, and installing a DP double socket. I'll even sleeve my earths..... I promise!!

I have gained the knowledge that I needed from this thread, for which I am very grateful.

Thank you

Dandyman :)

It will be what he has advised, as well as the friendly advice I have received on here. It was my "very real" electrician friend who advised me I'd need a type B MCB by the way.

I think this thread is getting out of hand now. As electricians, you all know that what I intend to do is a simple task and I may not even do it myself yet, but will if I need to. I'm replacing a breaker, connecting two cables via a junction box, and installing a DP double socket. I'll even sleeve my earths..... I promise!!

I have gained the knowledge that I needed from this thread, for which I am very grateful.

Thank you

Dandyman :)

I will suggst again that the existing pull switch could be used as a convenient way to terminate your smaller cable and provide isolation of the unoccupied loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back