Can I re-lay my engineered wood floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time post, folks, so go easy on me!

I need to pull up an existing wood floor (engineered wood) that covers two rooms and a hallway in our Victorian terrace flat to gain access to the floorboards and pipes underneath. I'll also be reorganising the partition walls to re-size the two rooms.

I am trying to decide if I can relay the existing flooring when the new studs are in, relaying the flooring pieces like a jigsaw, whether I will just need to lay a new lot. For example, I don't know if the flooring is bonded to the subfloor or not: would it normally? Or would it just unlock and come out like pieces of a jigsaw that can be re-used?

Advice welcome on this please.

Sponsored Links
It's likely Glued at the joints or/and pinned to the subfloor/ply preperation.

Unless you are very lucky and it's a click glueless system, budget for a new floor.

Update: we need a new floor. The planks were T&G, glued down on the side with the short tounge (though not the long tounge), which meant nearly all the planks have a snapped short side tounge now.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you're doing a serious chunk of work in both rooms anyway, but this is exactly why I pushed my installer to add thresholds between rooms even though the flooring was identical. He was surprisingly reluctant, but you barely notice them and I'd hate to have to pull up half the ground floor just because of an issue in one room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back