Can I remove bottom newel post and lower balustrade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think they're structural?

I know I'll need a bit of handrail on the other wall.

IMG_20231226_164535656.jpg

IMG_20231226_164621693~2.jpg

IMG_20231226_164606092.jpg

The aim is something like the lower section below, with the retained higher components clad in plasterboard and capped with oak:

Screenshot_20231226-165846.png

Sponsored Links
You can, they won’t be structural.
However, there are probably regs that would come to light when you sell.

However you do it, make iIt easy to retrofit a rail at sale time.
Have you thought about just opening the enclosed area? Use glass maybe?

My Mum’s house had the banisters removed, by the previous occupants, and was unnerving to do up.
As she got older I fitted a new bannister system and it felt way safer.

It actually looks better with the spindles all the way down IMO but the regs don't seem to require it even though falls on stairs are a significant cause of death or injury in dwellings.

This is part of the question, I'm under the impression that the regs say they can be open on the side, provided there's a handrail on the other side?

I've considered the glass, but can't afford to do the whole lot and think it may look a bit odd with just the lower bit done.

Sponsored Links
I think I've understood it now, balustrades are distinct from handrails in the regs - one to stop you falling down the stairs and one to stop you falling off the stairs (obviously they can be combined). Looks like I'll go for a frameless glass balustrade on the lower section - which can double up as handrail. I will need to figure out, if I clad and cap the higher up balustrades, whether it will meet the regs for a handrail in terms of grip.

Screenshot_20231226-165846~2.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back